We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › Processing's real time capabilities
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Processing's real time capabilities (Read 1053 times)
Processing's real time capabilities
Jun 4th, 2009, 2:20am

Hi,

I have taken a quick look at Processing and it looks nice! I was wondering if Processing can do a lot of real-time image/visuals generation. I want to use it as a VJ program, which generates all kinds of visuals.
I think Jitter (from Max/MSP) is more suited for this, but I'm not sure..

Thanks for the advice!
Re: Processing's real time capabilities
Reply #1 - Jun 9th, 2009, 8:50am

***bump***

I've also come across openFrameworks, which seems a bit more low level then Processing but it might be faster because of it's reliance on C/C++. My program will need to run in real-time. It will rely on custom datastructures and it would be great if it supports parallel processing of the visuals. Can anybody tell me which program suits my needs? Jitter, Processing or openFrameworks?
Re: Processing's real time capabilities
Reply #2 - Jun 10th, 2009, 11:16am

I have used processing for it a couple times - it works great but you need to be careful to optimize your sketches well. There's already a framework for mixing sketches I think it's called Mother you can find info about it on the forums here (I haven't used it though, I wrote my own framework because I wanted to do more than just mix sketches, although I'm not certain what I ended up with was any better...)

Anyways I think Processing is an excellent choice and I know the forums here are a great resource. I didn't know openFrameworks was even past beta...?

Also, processing is great because it has a lot of useful libraries for networking and even can do DMX out with usb dmx adapters so you can write controllers for lighting fixtures as well that tie into your visuals.

In the future I hope to port processing to C++ myself by writing a new processing precompiler - I've already implemented a large portion of the core interfaces that would allow for different back end renders (GDI, OpenGL, DirectX) but that project is on hold while I finish writing an even higher level language on top of processing. The end goal being a highly modular & collaborative multi-tiered self bootstrapping language. I'm just tired of how difficult it is to get anything done in C++ but I won't give up the speed or flexibility.

Ok I totally got off topic - maybe I'm a fanboy but give processing a shot - it's kick a**

=)
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1