We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › Hardware - Netbooks
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Hardware - Netbooks? (Read 2812 times)
Hardware - Netbooks?
Nov 27th, 2008, 5:21am

I've been thinking about splurging a little and getting myself a 'Netbook' class laptop for the holidays. I've been good, I deserve it. Wink

One of the main justifications is that I'd like to use it as a 'processing sketchbook' when I'm grabbing coffee, on the subway, etc... All the normal Netbooks are game here, and I was hoping that someone has experience relative to performance/hardware issues with Processing on any of these machines.

Dell Inspiron Mini 9
ASUS Eee PC 900
Others?

Running XP or Linux. No preference.
Any thoughts or similar experience?
Thanks much. pD.
Re: Hardware - Netbooks?
Reply #1 - Nov 30th, 2008, 3:10am

Almost all of the work I've done with Processing has been on Asus EEE machines (first a 701 running Linux, then a 901 running Windows XP).  I've mostly done this while sitting in places eating dinner or traveling.

Performance has been pretty good.  There are some limitations, but I haven't really run into them.  I've done some real-time image processing (primarily edge filters) and it's worked pretty well.

The biggest limitation is probably screen size.  The 901 is 1024x600.  The IDE barely fits but it's usable.  I didn't really have much of a problem with the 701 that is only 800x480.

The keyboard on these is a bit small, but I find it only takes a few minutes for me to get used to it.
Reply #2 - Nov 30th, 2008, 5:06am

Thanks much!
I'd been leaning toward an Asus 901, so perhaps I'll go in that direction (finally). Thanks for the input!
Reply #3 - Dec 9th, 2008, 6:45am

Im also looking to get a netbook (asus eee 1000) for christmas. my biggest concern is running processing. 3 questions i have:

is it hard to DL, install, and run processing?

can it use the built in cam with the camera lib?

If this is a pain in the butt, what netbook do people recommend? ...mac air $$$ Sad  
Reply #4 - Dec 11th, 2008, 12:19am

Quote:
Im also looking to get a netbook (asus eee 1000) for christmas. my biggest concern is running processing. 3 questions i have:

is it hard to DL, install, and run processing?

It's no harder than on any other machine, I guess.  On an EEE 901 running Windows XP, it was just like any other install under Windows.  For installing it on an EEE 701 running the stock Linux, look here:
http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=12994

By the way, I'm "smee" over there.  It's been a while since I ran my Linux machine, though, so I don't remember if there were any other funny issues involved in the install.  I think I would have written about them if there were.

Quote:
can it use the built in cam with the camera lib?

I've used it with the JMyron library without any problems at all (under XP, I haven't tried under Linux).  I don't want to install Quicktime if I can help it so I haven't tried that.

Quote:
If this is a pain in the butt, what netbook do people recommend? ...mac air $$$ Sad  

Installing the software is not the issue.  If you can handle the small keyboard and display, I don't see any reason not to use a netbook.  They won't be as fast as other machines, but they are certainly useable.
Reply #5 - Dec 11th, 2008, 12:22am

I'm sorry. i said netbook, but should mentioned my concern with the OS on it which is Linux Xandros.
Reply #6 - Dec 11th, 2008, 12:29am

Quote:
I'm sorry. i said netbook, but should mentioned my concern with the OS on it which is Linux Xandros.

My 701 is running Xandros.  That's the install described in the thread on www.eeeuser.com I linked to above.
Reply #7 - Dec 11th, 2008, 12:31am

great. thank you.
Reply #8 - Dec 16th, 2008, 6:23pm

running on eeepc 1000h,

win xp and also centOS (linux) virtualized, both with processing installed - works great (so far)
Reply #9 - Dec 16th, 2008, 9:02pm

What about the built in camera? does the processing lib work easily with it?
Reply #10 - May 27th, 2009, 12:42am

does it have any option to output the graphics ?

i saw on the 900 a small serial slot

i cant see one on the 901

any advice - id liek to use a netbook for live visuals during a music gig

is it true the 901 has touchscreen ?

thanks for your help
Reply #11 - Jun 1st, 2009, 12:21pm

I have Samsung Nc 10. I am mainly using it for surfing and coding in PDE. It has a small mutli-toch track pad which I still didn't figure out which moves it supports. Sad
Reply #12 - Jun 10th, 2009, 11:47am

Quote:
What about the built in camera? does the processing lib work easily with it?

I have an eee900, the camera isn't very good to begin with - it's very slow but that could just be the system. Processing runs ok but I'd look for something with slightly better graphics & processor.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1