We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSyntax Questions › Changing the location of saveStrings()
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Changing the location of saveStrings() (Read 733 times)
Changing the location of saveStrings()
May 27th, 2009, 4:00pm

I'm trying to use saveStrings() to save a text file to a location other than the sketch folder. I've been using some of the info on this alpha thread, but when I tried using st33d's code, I got an error message stating that Access was Denied to the root drive.

Any way around this
Re: Changing the location of saveStrings()
Reply #1 - May 28th, 2009, 2:25am

We would need more information. What system? What path do you use?
Reply #2 - May 28th, 2009, 7:13am

I'm on a Windows Vista 64-bit machine, and I'm basically wanting to have one sketch saving text files into another sketch's data folder. So the path I'm saving to is C:\Users\Me\Documents\Processing\destination_sketch\data\ . But, I should add that even when I try to save to the root at C:\ I still get denied access.

I'm guessing Vista has something to do with the security. But perhaps there is a way to authorize through the sketch?
Reply #3 - May 28th, 2009, 8:44am

Somehow, I might understand that Vista forbids to write to root level. Not sure why, but as you said it is so picky on security...
Now, I don't understand why it forbids to write to your own Documents folder.
Reply #4 - May 28th, 2009, 10:58am

OK a little update. I just tried this whole thing on my XP system, and it worked great. I had one sketch saveStrings() into another sketch's data folder. But, it would still be super helpful if I could do this on Vista as well, so if anyone has any clue toward that dilemma, it would be greatly appreciated.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1