We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › Good book to learn Java
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Good book to learn Java? (Read 1663 times)
Good book to learn Java?
May 12th, 2009, 3:53pm

I've been having fun teaching myself Processing (own a couple Processing books already), and figured it was about time to dig a bit deeper and really understand the underlying language.  I did a search through the forums on this, and didn't come up with anything, which was surprising (or maybe my search kung fu is weak)

Does anyone have any recommendations for print books (preferably), or even good online learning resources for Java?  I've been looking through quite a few at the bookstores\Amazon, but thought I'd get some real recommendations if possible.  Something comparable to "Learning Python" published by O'Reilly.  They have a "Learning Java" as well, but it seems a few years out of date now, and I'd hope to get something a bit more current.
Re: Good book to learn Java?
Reply #1 - May 13th, 2009, 1:13am

Just before following a course on Java, I have read O'Reilly's Head First Java and highly appreciated it.
Lively, with real world examples, a good explanation of OO concepts, easy to read yet not hiding some details, that's an excellent book.
Reply #2 - May 22nd, 2009, 8:33pm

I too can highly recommend the Head First Java book. I can also recommend the Head First Design Pattern book as soon as you progress into a bit more advanced programming.
Reply #3 - Jul 10th, 2009, 12:17pm

Definitely "Thinking in Java" by Bruce Eckel.  The 4th edition is the latest edition, but you can download the 3rd edition for free.
Reply #4 - Jul 18th, 2009, 8:37pm

I loved Introduction to Programming Using Java, by David J Eck.

This is a free online course.  It has great examples, questions, & assignments after each chapter to help you learn more.

This was actually my first & only real training learning programming and what I learned from it helped me a lot along the way.

(This is my first post so it will not let me post a link).....
H T T P : / / math.hws.edu/javanotes/
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1