We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Poll Poll
Question: Do you LIKE AutoScroll?

« Created by: DarkBoy on: Apr 27th, 2009, 6:49pm »

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
AutoScroll Woes (Read 1914 times)
AutoScroll Woes
Apr 27th, 2009, 6:49pm

Is anyone else feed up with Autoscroll? Especially when you do as much cut and pasting as I do. The function activates for 4 lines either top or bottom and my viewing line is usually 20 lines... that is almost half of my viewing area dedicated to autoscroll!...and furthermore it is not useful because of the speed to which it performs.

Can anyone tell me how to turn off this function or at least "slow that beast down" to a more manageable setting?
Re: AutoScroll Woes
Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2009, 2:45am

Funnily, I had no idea of what you were talking about...
So I suppose for me it is just out of the way.
Indeed, when you move the caret with the arrows, going near the top or bottom of the editing area of the PDE, it scrolls automatically.
I find this useful because it keeps the current line in context. A number of editors have this feature.
More disturbing is the autoscroll when you click on this area.

My favorite editor (SciTE) where I do most of my editing work, has the feature (built in Scintilla, the core component, included in a number of other editors like Notepad++).
I worked on this feature (in Scintilla), making it working right, along with a bunch of fine settings: you can remove the feature altogether, change the area size, etc. Scintilla doesn't scroll when setting the caret position with a click. I have set up mine to scroll at 1 line from the margin.
I don't think you can change the settings in Processing, though... Might be an improvement. Although there are rumors about changing the whole editor.
Reply #2 - May 4th, 2009, 6:15am

Funnily enough you do know what I'm talking about I think??

More disturbing is the autoscroll when you click on this area.

This is the annoying part - using the mouse with the PDE. Double click on any code within the scroll area and you end up highlighting the next line of code below. Push the mouse button once and you get the entire scroll of your code in less than a tenth of a second. Not very useful.

Let us hope for a mouse user friendly PDE in the upgrade!
Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2009, 5:16pm

THIS KILLS ME! Usually i have my window as tall as my screen, and I use my trackpad to scroll so I don't bump it that much. However, when the processing window is small i run into this every time i try to highlight anything!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1