We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › How to draw quarter of a circle
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
How to draw quarter of a circle? (Read 596 times)
How to draw quarter of a circle?
Apr 16th, 2009, 2:53pm

Hi guys! I'm having a newbie question. I'm writing a little sketch where I want to show pop-ups. I'd like them to be like a square box with round corners. I tried to draw them by using four ellipses for the corners and three rectangles for filling the rest of the body. As long as I draw them in a solid color, everything goes fine. The thing is that I would like to draw them fading in and out, and here it comes the problem. Since I'm applying alpha for getting such effect, the overlapped areas - i.e. intersections between the shapes that compose the pop-up box - become darker.
So what I'm looking for is some way to draw ONLY quarter of a circle, so no area will overlap and therefore the fade in/out effect will work fine.
I tried with beginShape/endShape, but it didn't behave as I expected. I've also tried to use bezier curves and so, but I have to admit that it's a bit overwhelming for me. Moreover I've tried to find examples around the internet, but no luck.
So I'd really appreciate if someone could help me out with this.
Here I put the example code of the shape I want to get in the end. When I fill the shapes with color, I put an alpha value so you can see the problem I'm talking about.
Thanks for your help in advance!

/F

Code:

int CORNER_RADIUS = 20;
int sizeX = 300;
int sizeY = 200;
int posX = 20;
int posY = 20;

void setup(){

size(600,400);
 background(255);
 smooth();
 noStroke();

// SWITCH COMMENTS HERE FOR DESIRED OUTCOME
 fill(color(72,72,72), 100);
 //fill(color(72,72,72));

// Central section
 rect(this.posX, this.posY + this.CORNER_RADIUS, this.sizeX, this.sizeY-2*this.CORNER_RADIUS);

// Upper rect
 rect(this.posX + this.CORNER_RADIUS, this.posY, this.sizeX-2*this.CORNER_RADIUS, this.CORNER_RADIUS);
 // Bottom rect
 rect(this.posX + this.CORNER_RADIUS, this.posY + this.sizeY - this.CORNER_RADIUS, this.sizeX-2*this.CORNER_RADIUS, this.CORNER_RADIUS);

// Left top corner
 ellipse(this.posX + this.CORNER_RADIUS, this.posY + this.CORNER_RADIUS, this.CORNER_RADIUS*2, this.CORNER_RADIUS*2);
 // Right top corner
 ellipse(this.posX + this.sizeX - this.CORNER_RADIUS, this.posY + this.CORNER_RADIUS, this.CORNER_RADIUS*2, this.CORNER_RADIUS*2);
 // Left bottom corner
 ellipse(this.posX + this.CORNER_RADIUS, this.posY + this.sizeY - this.CORNER_RADIUS, this.CORNER_RADIUS*2, this.CORNER_RADIUS*2);
 // Right bottom corner
 ellipse(this.posX + this.sizeX - this.CORNER_RADIUS, this.posY + this.sizeY - this.CORNER_RADIUS, this.CORNER_RADIUS*2, this.CORNER_RADIUS*2);

}

Re: How to draw quarter of a circle?
Reply #1 - Apr 16th, 2009, 10:16pm

Try arc().
Re: How to draw quarter of a circle?
Reply #2 - Apr 17th, 2009, 12:18am

Thank you very much. That was what I was looking for!

/F
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1