We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionExhibition › Food for Fish Experiment
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Food for Fish Experiment (Read 1628 times)
Food for Fish Experiment
Apr 6th, 2009, 6:58am

Hallo,
I would like to bring to your attention "Food for Fish Experiment", a
network activacted food dispenser for an aquarium located in Venice.
I made it using Processing .net library, Arduino and a servo motor.
Commissioned by Guppo Cerbero, Naples-Venice, Italy.
Bless,
kk

http://www.gruppocerbero.net/fff.html

Keep the FOOD button clicked for 3 seconds and see what happens...

Food for fish experiment is a web page that shows a 24/24 live streaming video of a fish in an aquarium. Thanks to an automatic device which can be activated remotely, you can feed the fish by clicking the FOOD-button placed just below the video box. An interface that starts a connection between the real and the virtual side, in order to create a series of relationships between the user logged on the net and a fish in an aquarium. It conveys a flow of information towards a static point in the world, simulating the coercion of information systems. It functions as an electronic and mechanical device operated by remote, transforming information into food for the fish which, being inserted into the particular time of the internet, becomes a victim of the network overload. Food For Fish basically is a work in progress, an experiment that takes advantage of the variability and misunderstanding which are typical of the network, and is not intended to have a defined resolution, but to sample the attitudes of the average user in relation with the non-places of the internet.

Re: Food for Fish Experiment
Reply #1 - Apr 6th, 2009, 9:09pm

Very interesting project. I was not aware of the remote control applications of using Processing!
Reply #2 - Apr 6th, 2009, 9:19pm

Oooh fun! Smiley One thing that I would suggest is maybe turning the sound capturing off. I had my speakers turned up and it is quite the loud process, almost jumped out of my chair. Along with the red glow, that makes it almost a scary experience to feed the fish. One feeling I never imagined I would feel when feeding a goldfish Undecided Also, maybe this is just me, but I think it is a neat/weird experience when you leave the page open and you can see exactly when someone else pushes the button. Granted this happens all of the time on the internet, but it is completely different when you can visually and audibly tell. How cool it would be to be able to see everyone's mouse cursor that is on a web page at the same time. Shocked
Reply #3 - Apr 11th, 2009, 7:12am

Thanks for your appreciation!

@ Milind:
Yes processing .net library is quite an easy solution to have network activated motors, though you must take care of signing the applet if it resides on a website or it won't be allowed to send commands to external servers, java security stuff...
I didn't know that and had to dig the java error codes from the osx terminal to find out what the problem was.

See this pages for info:
(being a noob I'm not allowed to post links,
so you must copypaste the address)

APPLET SECURITY RESTRICTIONS -
processing.org/reference/environment/export.html

HOWTO SIGN APPLETS - OSX + TERMINAL
processing.org/hacks/hacks:signapplet

HOWTO SIGN APPLETS - PC
processing.org/discourse/yabb2/num_1182948677.html

@shagler:
I'll suggest to reduce the volume of the microphone, it's quite loud yes!
but I think that seeing the cursors of all the visitors is way beyond
the purpose of the installation, and the red light+sound is enough for the moment.
Thanks a lot for your suggestions!

Right now the webiste is down for maintenance,
for anyone interested please check it in some days.

Long life to the fish,
bless,
kk

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1