We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionExhibition › 8-bit synthesizer (sfxr clone)
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
8-bit synthesizer (sfxr clone) (Read 5221 times)
8-bit synthesizer (sfxr clone)
Apr 5th, 2009, 1:46am

This is my first post here, so hi!

I've built a clone of sfxr (an 8-bit synthesizer) in Processing. The synthesizer can be found on the Beads Lab page at http://www.beadsproject.net/?page_id=42 -- I'm very interested in comments, etc.

Cheers,
Ben
Re: 8-bit synthesizer (sfxr clone)
Reply #1 - Apr 6th, 2009, 2:16am

nice project...

didn't know the beads library, looks like powerfull stuff.

thanks for sharing
Reply #2 - Apr 6th, 2009, 4:12pm

awesome, I like it a lot.  Smiley
Reply #3 - Apr 7th, 2009, 2:51am

Glad you liked it.  Smiley
Reply #4 - Apr 7th, 2009, 8:14am

Awesome can't wait to steal (jk) learn from your code.

Good to see Processing making some more noise. Thanks for sharing.
Reply #5 - Apr 7th, 2009, 9:22pm

DUDE.

I had just been lamenting the fact that sfxr won't run on my PPC Mac, because I really want sounds that match the graphics in Wayfarer.

And then you post this excellent clone!  GOOD HEAVENS!

Now the whole project can be 100% Processing-based.  Needless to say, I'm psyched.  A few questions, though:
* I get a "type NoiseBuffer is not visible" error -- private class, maybe?  Closest class I could find in reference was Noise().  Commented that line for now.
* Lots of "Audio dropped frame." messages during play?
* Is there a way to export the result, or would I have to get WireTap or something to record the sound?

Finestkind.  Thank you

--Ben
Reply #6 - Apr 7th, 2009, 10:16pm

BenHem -

I assume you downloaded the Beads/Processing tutorial ... the .jar that's included with that isn't as up to date as the one I included with the Jsfxr zip, so replace it and see if that helps.

The AudioContext occasionally drops frames due to the computational load. I have yet to tune the app to reduce the number of dropped frames, but if it gets overwhelming you can remove some elements, increase the buffer size, etc.

As for exporting, there's a couple of ways you can do it. One is to use the AudioContext::record function. The other, more versatile method, is to use a Recorder to record into a Sample, then output the Sample to a file. This stuff gets tricky when running in Applet mode, due to permissions, but should work fine running straight from processing.

Beads online documentation: http://www.beadsproject.net/doc/

Good luck,
B
Reply #7 - Apr 8th, 2009, 6:38am

Thanks, but: the zip doesn't seem to contain a jar file.  Tried the standard Beads version too (the one not packaged for Processing).

--BH
Reply #8 - Apr 8th, 2009, 4:06pm

Ooh sorry, you're right. If you want, you can download Beads from svn [1] then run the supplied ant script to compile the most up to date version. Alternatively, wait, and I'll post the updated .jar asaic.

B

1. beadsproject.net > Downloads > svn
Reply #9 - Apr 8th, 2009, 10:47pm

Ok, Beads is updated. There's a copy in Jsfxr.zip, and also the copy on the main beads site has been updated. Hope it works out.
Reply #10 - Apr 10th, 2009, 8:04pm

I have updated jsfxr to support saving sound effects as raw .aif files. It also supports saving and loading parameter files (.jsfxr format). I also whipped up a mini sequencer that demonstrates how to
  • load a .jsfxr parameter file
  • synthesise the sound (i.e., cache it)
  • and how to use Beads to play triggered sound effects.

Hope this is useful. Smiley

You can find it here: http://users.on.net/~eigenbom/beads/jsfxr.html It is now an eclipse project, for manageability purposes.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1