We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionExhibition › Share. A 'networked' programming environment
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Share. A 'networked' programming environment (Read 780 times)
Share. A 'networked' programming environment
Apr 3rd, 2009, 12:00pm

Hello All,

I want to introduce the project i am currently working on, its a new development environment for processing that i am calling a 'networked' programming environment. It's an experiment in supporting some ideas around the concept of programming within the context of a community and aims to integrate some sharing/co-operation/community oriented features directly into a programming tool. I put up a webpage http://share.media.mit.edu, that describes what it is a bit more. While still in early stages I thought i'd post something up here to get any initial thoughts or questions about the idea and maybe even possibly recruit some volunteers for my upcoming evaluation step.

Thanks
Yannick
Re: Share. A 'networked' programming environment
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2009, 12:11pm

Neat Smiley
Reply #2 - Apr 4th, 2009, 12:53pm

Wow crazy, this sounds a lot like one of my goals of the IDE I'm working on called Reflection.

The first step I chose to work on however was implementing a version of Processing that is translated into C++ then compiled and loaded as a native DLL so I can have real time compilation/reloading of processing sketches as well as a speed boost from a C++ implementation - You can check out some screens of my processing++ work on the forums here:
http://processing.org/discourse/yabb2/num_1238467470.html

Have you thought about requiring any kind of test framework or module based coding for collaboration so that it's easier to find regression bugs from other users

How will you handle source control versioning with your system

Have you thought about building a standard protocol so that other IDE's can work with your Share IDE

Very interested - we should chat sometime!

Jack
Reply #3 - Apr 6th, 2009, 8:39pm

Is that an implementation of the processing API in C++, with livecoding? Interesting...

With regards to regressions coming from other users, that isn't something that can happen in share. Actually early thoughts about what share would be had me thinking about that question as i had the idea that any user could use any other user's name as a namespace to access parts of their code and call it directly. But that really isn't the case anymore, share just falls back on users cutting and pasting code that they find is interesting and integrating it into their own sketches, from that point it has no dependencies on the original author (though a relationship is made) nor can any one else modify your sketches.

Overall i would say Share headed in the direction of enabling co-operation over overt collaboration, its not really designed with the needs of teams in mind, but rather a community of independent creators having access to each others work.

About source control that is also an interesting story, as i had a long obsession with building the entire thing on top of a distributed version control system like git or hg. However in the end i wanted to keep the dependencies low (my goal was that if you can run processing you can run share without installing anything). And although i did find a could of single executable dvcs that could bundle along with the app, there was always something that didn't quite work with what i had in mind. So currently there is no source control (or history related options) exposed to the user. Though on the server everything will likely be source controlled.

It also wouldn't be too hard to define a protocol, there actually isn't much to it, its just documents sent and retrieved over http. I use uuids to identify resources, which should be portable across various applications.

Cheers
Yannick
Reply #4 - Apr 6th, 2009, 11:45pm

Definitely an interesting area, but I'm not convinced that this will be successful unless you have the "big idea" that separates this environment from the current collaborative/cooperative methodology of browsing the processing forums, examples, etc. That said, having a browsable database of other peoples code seems like a fun idea, and tracking copy-pastes is very intriguing. Hope the project goes well, and I'm definitely interested in testing the system out.

b
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1