We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › New to Processing -- can this be done
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
New to Processing -- can this be done? (Read 708 times)
New to Processing -- can this be done?
Mar 30th, 2009, 9:17am

I am required to learn Processing for my job. I have an idea for a project that I am not sure if it can be done in Processing or not. First off, I work for a research agency and we're developing a website for a flash flood program that has been established.

Currently, we have a website that contains all of the precipitation data (hourly) for the entire lower 48. What we'd like to do is take the latest map from our server, display it, and then as we roll over locations with the mouse, it displays the precipitation amount. For every map, there is also a text file with the values for the stations.

I don't know if this is possible, but any information/pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks!
David Moran
Re: New to Processing -- can this be done?
Reply #1 - Mar 31st, 2009, 9:11pm

Sounds very do-able to me. Some people have trouble running Java applets though depending on what features you decide to use (openGL, certain other libraries..) so be sure to keep that in mind and prototype a bit before selecting it.

Flash has the largest user base and the fastest start up times so if widespread compatibility is a concern that might be a better option.

(Personally I think processing would be the easier choice to implement it in however)
Re: New to Processing -- can this be done?
Reply #2 - Apr 1st, 2009, 8:04am

Thanks for the input. There are a few things that I just don't see how to do. First, the date is part of the URL and is in the form of YYYYMMDD so I need to be able to take input and use it in the URL for the image.

Another thing I'm not sure how to do is to display the precipitation amounts in a rollover. I was able to figure out how to do a simple rollover, but I'm not sure how you'd set it up to acquire data from a text file on a remote server.

Thanks,
David
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1