We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSyntax Questions › Millis() Overflow
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Millis() Overflow (Read 514 times)
Millis() Overflow
Mar 24th, 2009, 6:00pm

Hi All,

I probably have a very simple question:

Is it possible to overflow 'millis()' if you keep your software running long enough?

Cheers,

Remco
Re: Millis() Overflow
Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2009, 8:14pm

Theoretically, sure.

The documentation for millis() says it returns an int.  By default, that's a signed, four-byte quantity containing numbers in the range -2^31 .. 2^31-1.

Millis() should, by definition, return positive quantities, meaning that only the 0..2^31-1 range is a sensible result.  So, millis will overflow (well, wrap around) when it gets to 2^31-1, which is 2147483647.

That many milliseconds is 24.855 days.  So yes, millis() should overflow after that long.

However, the normal thing that happens when a signed integer value exceeds MAX_INT (again, that same 2147483647) is that it wraps around to the negative numbers.  

The highest bit of signed integer values represents the sign of the number: 0 is positive (or zero), 1 is negative.  So, when that 2147483647 clocks over to 2147483648, the binary representation of it trips the sign bit to 1, and presto, now the number is -2147483648.

Or in other words, 2147483647 + 1 = -2147483648.

Computers sure are dumb, aren't they?  :)  

It could be, of course, that under the covers milliseconds are counted using a 64-bit value rather than a 32 bit value, or maybe Processing does something magic for you that restricts millis() to always return non-negative values.  I'm not sure about that, and I'm not really motivated enough to find out to bother downloading the source code to take a look.

But, if the docs are wrong and millis() is really a long int instead of a plain (4-byte) int, then the answer is still "theoretically, yes, but you won't live long enough to see it."  You can work out for yourself how many days 2^63-1 milliseconds is...
Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2009, 9:17pm

Thanks cloister for the clarification.

It seems indeed plausible that the millis will never overflow Smiley

I have a program running that suddenly 'freezes' (not giving an error, but just stopping) after a certain time, so I figured that it might be a variable overflowing. However, I will have to look a bit further.

Thanks!

Remco
Reply #3 - Mar 24th, 2009, 9:26pm

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1