We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › Something similar to Wordle
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Something similar to Wordle (Read 1558 times)
Something similar to Wordle
Mar 20th, 2009, 11:24am

Hi,

I ran into Wordle the other day (http://www.wordle.net)

I'm wondering if someone implemented a similar app in Processing. It seems like a typical sort of data visualization that Processing would be good for.

The problem with Wordle is that I can't filter out words from the final result, and I imagine this filtering would be fairly trivial to do in processing.

I don't have the time to roll my own, and since I want to use it for just one picture, it's not worth trying to build the thing from scratch. Especially since I would need it by the end of this weekend Wink

I'm hoping someone can help out.

Cheers,
0x80

Re: Something similar to Wordle
Reply #1 - Mar 20th, 2009, 3:09pm

That's funny. I saw this site some months ago, I wanted to re-create something similar.
I re-discovered it last week, and searched Processing forum, to find there was no mention of it...
It seems (from the Credits and FAQ pages) that the author used mostly collision detection algorithm. It would be interesting to create a similar sketch, but as you guessed, it is not trivial.

Note on your specific problem: "I can't filter out words from the final result"
0) Wordle can automatically eliminate common words (at to the etc.) in several languages.
1) If you want to eliminate only a few words, you can right-click on a displayed word, you will get a context menu allowing to remove it.
2) You can easily do a pre-filtering of your text before pasting it in Wordle. Eg. with Processing. If you want to go this way, I can help.
Re: Something similar to Wordle
Reply #2 - Mar 20th, 2009, 5:27pm

I feel so stupid for not thinking about prefiltering:) Thanks for pointing out the available word filter. I overlooked it. Looks like I'm all set now.

I still think it would be interesting to code something similar in Processing. Especially since then you can do more fancy stuff like multiple layers or 3d perspective. Maybe this is a fun little project for me to finally start learning Processing properly.

Cheers
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1