We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProcessing DevelopmentCore,  Processing Development Environment (PDE) › processing applet -> xmlvm -> iPhone
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
processing applet -> xmlvm -> iPhone ? (Read 5833 times)
processing applet -> xmlvm -> iPhone ?
Mar 13th, 2009, 9:45am

I just found this awesome project, XMLVM.org, doing crosscompiling from Java, .Net and Ruby, to Javascript, Python, Objective C or C++.

It would be really interesting to see if a common Processing applet, could in fact be converted to an iPhone app, like their demo with a java-applet shows.
There is a 1 hour long googletech-talk with the author of XMLVM, which is really interesting.

The absolute coolest thing would be to somehow include this in Processing, so you could export directly to iPhone, C++, etc.

Any thoughts?

-seltar
Re: processing applet -> xmlvm -> iPhone ?
Reply #1 - May 17th, 2009, 6:16pm

I have a thought: let's bring this thread up again because it sounds pretty great.
Reply #2 - May 20th, 2009, 3:57pm

I'm trying to do this but there is no any document about xmlvm or cocoa api for java.I have only source codes.It's weird.
Reply #3 - Aug 13th, 2009, 6:17am

seltar wrote on Mar 13th, 2009, 9:45am:
It would be really interesting to see if a common Processing applet, could in fact be converted to an iPhone app, like their demo with a java-applet shows.
There is a 1 hour long googletech-talk with the author of XMLVM, which is really interesting.

The absolute coolest thing would be to somehow include this in Processing, so you could export directly to iPhone, C++, etc.

Any thoughts

I've heard about it and it looks promising but I haven't had time to try it out. Of course we always like to open up more platforms, so I'd love to see what happens if someone gives it a shot.
Reply #4 - Aug 15th, 2009, 4:07am

Hi there!

I am from the XMLVM project and just found this thread. I have heard a lot about processing but never really tried it out myself.

What API are you using at the bottom to display graphics? Ist is JOGL/Java3D or similar?

I am happy to guide you for making processing cross-compilable as this seems like a really cool thing to do!

// Sascha
Reply #5 - Aug 15th, 2009, 9:28am

We have several renderers--one supports JOGL, another uses Java2D, and then two others are all-software. The JOGL (called OPENGL in the syntax) and Java2D (called JAVA2D in the syntax, and used by default) versions are probably what makes sense to be used. What's supported?
Reply #6 - Feb 11th, 2010, 9:49am

I hope that this direction continues. There are other approaches, such as using John Resig's Processing.js and porting it to a JS framework. This approach is cool, but we lose out on all the awesome libraries out there. Has there been any success with this approach?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1