We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
read Quicktime Size (Read 494 times)
read Quicktime Size
Mar 9th, 2009, 3:26pm

Hi there,

Does anyone of you know if its possible to read the dimensions of an quicktime movie? I did not find anything about that in the docs.
I would like to read many different quicktime movies and create an html site with tables of the according size(s).

Thank you very much for your help.
Re: read Quicktime Size
Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2009, 6:26pm

I've tried this numerous times with no luck. I have resorted to loading the movie. Saving the first frame as a predertimed filename. Loading that same picture and then size the sketch based off of the image. I have had better results with JMCVideo where I can resize the frame and other multimedia effects. However, using the default quicktime library, I have difficulties.
Reply #2 - Mar 10th, 2009, 9:36am

Hi Owaun,

thats a good tip, I am looking into the JMCVideo library!
Thanks for your reply.
Reply #3 - Mar 12th, 2009, 5:20pm

For the video size in the built in video library, you can use myMovie.width and myMovie.height since it is based on a PImage.

The trick to using these is that they seem to stay at 1 for a few cycles of draw(). I'm guessing that the video just needs time to load.
Reply #4 - Mar 13th, 2009, 6:05pm

NoahBuddy, thanks for your reply.
You are right, the main problem was that the movies must be loaded at first and then the width property was accessible.
I also had to use a synchronized method to wait for the movies to be loaded.

Thanks for all your replies!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1