We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
OpenCV performance (Read 1355 times)
OpenCV performance
Mar 1st, 2009, 12:59pm

Hello all,
I'm trying to run OpenCV on a 640 x 480 video feed. Of course this runs a bit slow (~10 FPS on my macbook) compared to lower resolutions, but it allows me to detect small faces, or faces far away. What I'm wondering is if I can increase performance by running it on a faster CPU, or is the bottleneck somewhere else? I did a test in OpenFrameworks as well, but the fps was similar, so I guess it's the performance of OpenCV that I need to improve on somehow. Is there some part of the OpenCV process flow I could skip, perhaps? Or might it be running faster on a pc?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Re: OpenCV performance
Reply #1 - Mar 5th, 2009, 6:51pm

have you looked at CPU load during capture?
Re: OpenCV performance
Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2009, 8:54pm

Hi

If I make a very simple OpenCV example(e.g. read, blur, display), I get 7-8 fps with the most crappy $15 USB logitech quickcam, I get 27+ fps using my built in iSight.
This is all 640x480 and running on a MacBook Air 1.8GHz 2 GB mem(can't get smaller/slower than that before it is a netbook)

I did some hand recognition stuff and as stuff evolved I used opencv.ROI(rect) to cut down the area that opencv processes and this gave me a higher fps.

Try posting some code from where you think there is a bottleneck.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1