We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpElectronics,  Serial Library › Processing in a digital picture frame
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Processing in a digital picture frame? (Read 947 times)
Processing in a digital picture frame?
Mar 3rd, 2009, 6:23pm

Wasn't sure exactly where to post this...

Recently got on the digital picture frame bandwagon, was looking at it last night display the slideshow of family pics, and it dawned on me:  Perfect medium for showing off a sketch!

Has anyone looked into this?  I've done some searching and didn't come up with much.  Those frames seem pretty hard-coded to just find images and display them to the screen, but it'd be awesome to get a hack to run some Java and Processing, or get an executable up and running on them.

Thoughts?
Re: Processing in a digital picture frame?
Reply #1 - Mar 4th, 2009, 11:49am

I think it's unlikely to be easy.. or even possible in many cases. I doubt they run any normal operating system which is the first major hurdle, and after that they almost certainly have very low performance and almost no RAM, so you'd have difficulty running much of anything on them.
Re: Processing in a digital picture frame?
Reply #2 - Mar 4th, 2009, 5:48pm

You bring up good points Wink  I guess my best bet is just to record some video and playback that way.  But it still seems like a viable medium.  Although looking over at Instructables.com, there's plenty of hacks for turning old laptops into faux digital picture frames, and I suppose that would do just fine Wink
Thanks for the thoughts.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1