We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionExhibition › Kromm - 2D RPG
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Kromm - 2D RPG (Read 1722 times)
Kromm - 2D RPG
Feb 2nd, 2009, 9:18pm

Greetings all, just thought I would share my current project between work and school. I have been developing a 2D rpg game in processing. It has a lot to do with procedurally generated content to make each game experiance unique. I am quite pleased with how far I have come on it by myself, but now Im looking for some user feedback. I have been using netbeans with the processing core.jar library. Everything is from scratch and this my first attempt at a project like this, so please excuse the sloppy code. You can learn more and get source files at the website  kromm.tk. please leave any feedack here or on the kromm forums. I appreciate it!
Re: Kromm - 2D RPG
Reply #1 - Feb 3rd, 2009, 5:39pm

intriguing!  I'm not really an rpg guy, but its interesting to hear about games being made with processing.  what parts are you procedurally generating?
Reply #2 - Feb 3rd, 2009, 7:27pm

I am currently in the process of procedurally generating the trees. For some reason I am greatly intrigued with the process involved with developing algorithms to mimic life. Currently, the game procedurally generated a 10x10 map world, buy randomly placing 22x22 dirt,grass, and tree tiles per map. Then, a random amount of towns are created at random locations. In each town, a random number of buildings are created, with each building having a random location, size, and door location. I originally had a random number of npc's (Non Player Characters) in the town, but I saw a few situations where there were many npc's to only a few buildings. So, until I find a better solution, I create 1 npc per building. Each NPC has a randomly created name ( a really simple name generator I came up with originally for naming planets in a procedurally generated planet sketch). There are a random amount of goblins on each non town map. I know, a lot of random. I'm hoping to work on creating dirt path's, and rivers. Currently, along with creating the procedural tree's, I am creating a tile class, so each tile in the game has its own set of data. This will allow for height, probably created with perlin noise, which would help create the river algorithm (flow from highest point to lowest). I realize this is highly ambitious for one person, but it is something I enjoy Smiley
Reply #3 - Feb 3rd, 2009, 10:33pm

Nothing wrong with ambition!  You sold me, I think I'll try to dl it sometime this week and check it out and see if I can give you any feedback.  Procedural generation is definitely awesome.
Reply #4 - Feb 13th, 2009, 12:13am

Sounds cool but to be honest, Flash is about 400x better for making (almost) any type of game, especially RPG. It would be awesome if you made it in processing, but im cringing at just the thought of how annoying and tedious it would be.
Reply #5 - Feb 13th, 2009, 12:33pm

theinhibitor wrote on Feb 13th, 2009, 12:13am:
m cringing at just the thought of how annoying and tedious it would be.

On the other hand, you learn a lot while doing low level stuff... And there are some library already to manage animations and sprites.

Flash IDE is nice and all, but not free (in every sense of the word). Not a major problem, but annoying for students and people without professional budget.
Reply #6 - Feb 13th, 2009, 11:24pm

Haha yeah flash isn't free...unless you torrent lol. And then it's free in EVERY sense of the word.
I don't want to sound like a cynic, but really Processing isn't quite the tool I would use to make a RPG. Maybe if Kromm made a graphical tool that used Processing, then that would be something that would make his project easier.
I think its amazing that he's doing it though and I cant wait to see the outcome. Goodluck Kromm!!
Reply #7 - Feb 20th, 2009, 5:33pm

Runescape is is a java game isn't it?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1