We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › which format movie can play in processing
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
which format movie can play in processing ? (Read 654 times)
which format movie can play in processing ?
Jan 7th, 2009, 6:14am

which format movie can play in processing ?
the .swf format can play?
Re: which format movie can play in processing ?
Reply #1 - Jan 7th, 2009, 8:34am

well, some (old) versions of flash (*) are supported by quicktime which is the basis for the video library. so - in theory - it should be able to play these flash-"movies" ... but i've never tried that.

F

(*) meaning swf files.
Reply #2 - Jan 7th, 2009, 8:40am

It will play .mov file, which is a quicktime format.  

http://processing.org/reference/libraries/video/

Quicktime supports multiple formats. Please take a look at the overview of the system:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QuickTime

Flash & FlashPix files are included, but my experience differs - I needed to use a converter to the flash movie to use quicktime to view the video.  So, the answer to the second question is no, it will not play .swf file, at least as far as I have tried recently.

To sunny_babycool:
By the way, I believe I've answered some of your questions in the previous thread and this question is actually a part of the problem you are trying to solve.  It may not be a very good idea to post multiple threads on a single problem.  Hate to nitpick, but you kind of left me hanging back there.

I'm just another user like you trying to learn the system as much as I can, and I come here because discussions help me a lot.  So your feedback actually helps me.  Did the previous suggestion not help?
Reply #3 - Jan 7th, 2009, 9:00am

right, it used to work, wikipedia says:

Quote:
Apple dropped support for Flash content in QuickTime 7.3, breaking content that relied on Flash for interactivity, or animation tracks.

F
Reply #4 - Jan 7th, 2009, 1:12pm

Technically, Flash Videos are .flv files, not .swf: the latter are interactive, can be vector based, while the former are streamable video. Actually, it is a container format, able to hold various real formats (codecs): traditionally H.263 (aka. Sorenson Spark), now also H.264, HE-AAC and On2 TrueMotion VP6 (according to Wikipedia).

So if you can play the above formats, you are on a good way, I suppose...
Reply #5 - Jan 7th, 2009, 4:59pm

I see, so there is no such thing as .flv encoding.  I wonder which format the flv->quicktime converters were transcoding... but I suppose that's not relevant to the board. :|
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1