We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › in processing can load flash
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
in processing can load flash (Read 470 times)
in processing can load flash
Jan 7th, 2009, 4:45am

Hello everyone!
Who can tell me that in the processing procedure , I can load flash animation,and how load flash?
Re: in processing can load flash
Reply #1 - Jan 7th, 2009, 5:17am

Well, as far as I can search, there is a project called jflash, which seems to be a java port of flash player.  Since Processing has Java as the back end, you may be able to use it. I get a feeling that it will not work well, though, since Flash file format is proprietary and people are legally not allowed to use its published specification to reverse-engineer flash player.

https://jflash.dev.java.net/

I'm laying out this information because I'm curious if someone has actually done this, and why.  There are extensive discussion threads on Flash-Processing communication, but what you are asking for is a separate problem.

If it doesn't work, and the target is a simple flash movie, you may consider exporting the flash movie as a more common movie format that is compatible with the video library that is available in processing.  There are numerous free transcoders that will do the job.

What would you like to do with it?
Reply #2 - Jan 7th, 2009, 12:59pm

Flash format is proprietary but there is no need to reverse-engineer it, it is officially disclosed.
If I believe the Wikipedia article on Adobe Flash, it was so since Flash 3. Looks indeed like there was a license agreement to prohibit developing a Flash player, but according to the Open Screen Project FAQ, "Effective May 1, 2008, Adobe removed the entire licensing agreement from the SWF and FLV/F4V specifications. These licensing restrictions had meant that no one could build software that would "play" SWF content.".
The SWF file format (v.10) is available at the SWF Technology Center.

There is an alternative to using a Java Flash player, although a convoluted one. But it is a trick used by a number of softwares: embed a browser window which will embed the installed Flash Player...
There is a thread here on using JDIC to do browser embedding.
Reply #3 - Jan 7th, 2009, 5:01pm

JDIC solution sounds neat and painful at the same time Smiley - I'd like to try it sometime.  Thank you for the information!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1