We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Y-Axis Points Down (Read 535 times)
Y-Axis Points Down
Dec 22nd, 2008, 1:00am

Hi I have set up a 3d axis, drawing a line for the x-axis, y-axis, and z-axis. Positive X values point to the right, positive Z values point out towards the screen, and positive Y values point DOWN.

If I want the positive values of the Y-axis to point UP instead of DOWN, what would I change?
Re: Y-Axis Points Down
Reply #1 - Dec 22nd, 2008, 1:09am

Code:

translate(0, someHeight, 0);
int getY(oldY){
int newY = - oldY;
return newY;
}

?
Reply #2 - Dec 22nd, 2008, 1:30am

Yes I realize I can just represent all my Y-coordinates as negative, but it gets a bit hairy when working with the mechanics, angles, and rotations. I was just wondering if it's possible to change the coordinate system to one where Y points up?
Reply #3 - Dec 22nd, 2008, 1:35am

Sorry, I was half joking when I wrote that.

But since you are likely to be working with vectors, why not subclass them with similar methods?
Reply #4 - Dec 22nd, 2008, 1:39am

Thanks I'll look in to overriding the classes to account for it, I didn't think of that.
Reply #5 - Dec 22nd, 2008, 2:07pm

scale(1,-1,1); should do it.
Reply #6 - Dec 22nd, 2008, 3:03pm

That's a better answer by million-fold.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1