We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpIntegration › Processing 1.0 really slow on linux
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Processing 1.0 really slow on linux (Read 1990 times)
Processing 1.0 really slow on linux
Dec 17th, 2008, 6:45am

Hi all,

I've just installed the latest processing release and I was wondering if I needed to change anything to make it "run normally", each time I try to run a sketch, it looks like it's running in "slow motion"
Re: Processing 1.0 really slow on linux
Reply #1 - Dec 20th, 2008, 2:16pm

I have fixed half of the problem, I installed a JDK on my box and this seems to work perfect on ubuntu 8.0.4, however on my laptop which is running ubuntu 8.1, installing a JDK didn't solve my problem at all, I even made a simlink to the original /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.10 folder in the processing installation directory but no luck, is there anyone expieriencing the same issue? I'd really like to get my favorite app running on this laptop, and the weird thing is that elcipse or netbeans for example run "normally", maybe I could ask something in the preferences or maybe delete the file.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated,

Thanks in advance
Cheers
Julien
Reply #2 - Dec 20th, 2008, 2:40pm

Me again,

I setup a simple project in eclipse and the applet runs smoothly, I thought I'd post this, maybe it might help you figure what the problem is Smiley
Reply #3 - Dec 20th, 2008, 4:22pm

Hello,
i don't know if its a comfort to you but i've got the same problems on my Windows XP machine. I'm working with eclipse and at the beginning everything work fine, but after a while (can't tell you exactly how long) my applets slow down like you described. I don't know if its a problem with eclipse, but i realized this phenomenon since i'm working with eclipse. But it seems to be in relation to Processing. After avoiding the core.jar library in my Programming (working with Jogl for rendering stuff) i've got no problems.
The Windows Task-Manager gives me no clues what is happening in the background (no memory leaks or CPU consumption problems).
Strange,strange...
Reply #4 - Dec 20th, 2008, 5:06pm

Thanks for the feedback,

So actually, after some time I decided to grab the source from svn and build it on my laptop.

I removed the java folder from my processing install, made a symlink from /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.10 to "java" in the processing install folder.

Last thing (and honestly I think this was the root of the probblem) I removed the ATI driver used by Ubuntu, (if you go to System > Administration > Hardware Drivers) and rebooted the laptop, now my "bouncing ball test code" is running as expected, and the demos, and other examples shipped with processing work fine too.

Apparently when I was googling "java slow on ubuntu", most of the feedback was coming from people with ATI cards, I don't even use compiz so I guess that ATI stuff isn't needed, if you're also using ubuntu and have any feedback, I'd be glad to hear from you, and also I wanted to let the processing team know, this issue has nothing to do with processing itself but just with my hardware
Reply #5 - Jan 28th, 2009, 3:45pm

I had similar problem with a Sony laptop. Taking your suggestion about the graphics card, I installed the proprietary NVIDIA driver that was recommended, in place of the default driver (don't know what that was). Processing programs seems to be running at expected speed now.
Reply #6 - Jan 28th, 2009, 4:27pm

cool,when processing works fine, everything seems better Smiley
Reply #7 - Feb 9th, 2009, 1:59pm

For me (ubuntu 8.10, sun jdk6, ATI proprietary driver) only the default renderer is slow, the one that does nice 2D graphics. If I add P2D, P3D or OPENGL as third argument to size() call it runs fast, some 2D graphics are broken though (and some don't show up altogether, like blur filter example).

As far as I understand the default renderer uses java2d, so I tested the latter with jgears ( http://trac-hg.assembla.com/jgears ), and it runs just fine (39 FPS with anti-aliasing, 29 FPS without).
Reply #8 - Feb 9th, 2009, 3:03pm

Nice benchmark, JGears!
On my old computer running Windows XP (Java 1.6 too), I get around 30FPS (in default 512x512 size) without anti-aliasing, and 25 with it.
Funny that you get better results with higher quality... Smiley
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1