We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpIntegration › Processing and PDF
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Processing and PDF (Read 480 times)
Processing and PDF
Dec 1st, 2008, 10:13pm

Hi Guys,

Can anyone explain the technicalities with getting processing apps embedded into a PDF? I know PDF and flash sorta play nice (and one could use the processing to flash app) but what I'm wondering is what it would take to be able to code up a nice processing app and insert it into a PDF via LaTeX. PDF is a pretty good distribution method for docs but I have never really seen a good implementation of PDF that has dynamic content. :(

Thanks!
   -V
Re: Processing and PDF
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2008, 11:41pm

Will guess: you cannot.
At least, I have never heard of Java applets embed in a PDF document. I know Adobe wants to bloat the specs of PDF, but except for form input, animation and interaction aren't the strong point of PDF.

Now, I recall that JavaScript can be used on recent versions of PDF, perhaps you can use Processing.js there

I just looked, and yes, JS is usable in PDF: Introduction to Acrobat JavaScript, the Examples article offers some sample PDF files.

I saw somebody mentioning that PDF viewer can play Flash movies since Acrobat 6. Which isn't surprising, since Adobe owns both technologies. Looks like Flash is played via ActiveX.
Looking more, it seems that Adobe with Acrobat 9, supports natively Flash, FLV movies and even 3D models. So much for my "PDF isn't for interactive/animated stuff"... Smiley
Still Java isn't mentioned anywhere...
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1