We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpIntegration › Command line processing and preferences.txt
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Command line processing and preferences.txt (Read 1091 times)
Command line processing and preferences.txt
Dec 1st, 2008, 2:38am

Is preferences.txt needed at all? I'm trying to run Processing from the command line and it seems like most of the preferences are related to the PDE. This makes them useless to the Commander part of Processing.

Would it be possible to split the file into two in the future? Like into a pde_preferences.txt and a commander.txt?
Re: Command line processing and preferences.txt
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2008, 10:49am

What is your problem, exactly?

And yes, lot of preferences are for the PDE, some are more generic, like preproc.*, perhaps run.*, etc.

But why is it necessary to separate the settings? It is not like the file weights megabytes or something.

Now, perhaps the capability to point to an arbitrary preference files anywhere on system as a command line option might have its usefulness.
Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2008, 4:16pm

The problem is that not everyone uses the PDE. I'm using Emacs with processing-mode and don't *need* any of the PDE settings, only the ones related to Commander.

But really all I want is that capability which I mention: pointing to any old preferences.txt. My workaround hack right now is to symbolically link to the preferences.txt file in my home directory. That's a crap workaround that I shouldn't have to use.
Reply #3 - Dec 1st, 2008, 5:12pm

omouse wrote on Dec 1st, 2008, 4:16pm:
The problem is that not everyone uses the PDE. I'm using Emacs with processing-mode and don't *need* any of the PDE settings, only the ones related to Commander.

But really all I want is that capability which I mention: pointing to any old preferences.txt. My workaround hack right now is to symbolically link to the preferences.txt file in my home directory. That's a crap workaround that I shouldn't have to use.

Before complaining about "crap workarounds" to people whose software you've just downloaded for free, please first read the "known issues" list, which state clearly that command line support is not yet complete:
http://processing.org/reference/troubleshooting/#known

In the meantime, please also take time to consider that including the preferences file no doubt complicates how the command line code works, so it would be quite safe to assume that it's there for a reason.

Either way, it's not worth discussing until command line support has been implemented fully.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1