We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpOther Libraries › TUIO and Touchlib weak robustness
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
TUIO and Touchlib weak robustness (Read 1343 times)
TUIO and Touchlib weak robustness
Nov 29th, 2008, 6:46pm

Hi there,
I'm doing a project with processing, the tuio library and Touchlib right now in order to track bright blobs. The program will be used for a theater performance and must run around 70 minutes.

In general it works fine, but now and then processing just stops handling the tuio events, even without showing errors. When I then restart processing and keep Touchlib running it works again. That's why I don't think the problem is not at the Touchlib side.

For the performance it is really desirable that the program is stable. Has anyone experiences with this, has observed the same problems, or has found a solution to make it more robust?

I am using Touchlib tbeta and Processing 0157 by the way. (Don't want to switch to Processing 1 right now, since the first night will be pretty soon...)

Regards,
Grit.
Re: TUIO and Touchlib weak robustness
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2008, 10:46am

Hey guys,

I found out, what my problem was and think it can be interesting for some others:

I have a quite complex application and during the performance I trigger some "chapter"-setups, where variables are set. Since the tuio handlers run all the time it happened now and then, that they tried to access some data that where not "ready to use, yet", which coursed conflicts.

I solved this problem by disconnecting the port with:

tuioClient.dispose();

before I do a chapter-setup. After the chapter is ready to run I create a new TuioClient:

tuioClient = new TuioClient(this);

This seems to work very well.
However I would like to know, if this way is recommended or if there is a more appropriate approach.

Thanks,
Grit.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1