We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › where is the "libraries" folder?
Pages: 1 2 
where is the "libraries" folder?? (Read 7877 times)
Re: where is the "libraries" folder??
Reply #15 - Jan 12th, 2009, 4:02pm

PhiLho  wrote on Nov 25th, 2008, 4:30pm:
Among other things, it is useful to read the Changes file (link in Download page): "Beginning with this release, all libraries should be placed in the sketchbook folder, inside a folder called "libraries". It's a bad idea to put them in the Processing libraries folder, because 1) users may not have access to that folder in lab environments, and 2) it's now hidden on OS X (see below)."

OK, you have to go back to version 0149 to see the info, so it is not obvious... But you will find a similar info in the Libraries page: "Each [library] must be downloaded separately and added to the "libraries" folder inside the Processing sketchbook folder."

where is the Processing sketchbook folder and if I want to test an example .zip which files do I place in the Processing sketchbook folder?
Reply #16 - Jan 13th, 2009, 5:36pm

The sketchbook folder is the folder where Processing saves sketches. If you open the Processing preferences it should say where it currently resides.

Extract the zip. There should be one or more .pde files. If there's only one just copy/paste the code into a new processing sketch and run it. If there are many create a new folder in your sketchbook folder with the same name as the main .pde file (the one with the draw() function if there is one) and place all files in there and open the main file in Processing.

Regarding my earlier post in this thread, I was doing everything right, but I didn't restart Processing. I just kept trying to recompile the code. After a restart controlP5 appeared in the import menu and everything worked as advertised.
Reply #17 - Jan 19th, 2009, 12:19pm

jasongetsdown wrote on Jan 13th, 2009, 5:36pm:
The sketchbook folder is the folder where Processing saves sketches. If you open the Processing preferences it should say where it currently resides.

Extract the zip. There should be one or more .pde files. If there's only one just copy/paste the code into a new processing sketch and run it. If there are many create a new folder in your sketchbook folder with the same name as the main .pde file (the one with the draw() function if there is one) and place all files in there and open the main file in Processing.

Regarding my earlier post in this thread, I was doing everything right, but I didn't restart Processing. I just kept trying to recompile the code. After a restart controlP5 appeared in the import menu and everything worked as advertised.

Thanks for your reply( but still having problems. I need a fast solution for midi / animation interaction so I think I'm gonna have to try another approach and come back to processing at a later stage.
Reply #18 - Feb 2nd, 2009, 12:44am

I'm having trouble with this too. I'm trying to use the gifAnimation library. I followed the directions and it just doesn't seem to be working the way it's supposed to.

Mac OSX 10.5.6
There is a "Processing" directory that was automatically made in my home "Documents" directory. I made a "libraries" folder and put the whole package in there. Didn't work. I tried putting it in several other places to no avail.

Is it possible that this is simply a bug?
Reply #19 - Feb 2nd, 2009, 10:49am

on os-x, do:

quit processing

add library to:
/Users/<login>/Documents/Processing/libraries/..

like so:
/Users/<login>/Documents/Processing/libraries/gifAnimation/

this is the actual library btw, the rest is sources, docs, examples:
/Users/<login>/Documents/Processing/libraries/gifAnimation/library/gifAnimation.
jar

(the jar must be named the same as the enclosing folder inside "libraries":
gifAnimation / library / gifAnimation.jar

now start processing and try one of the examples from the menu:
Open > libraries > gifAnimation > examples > ...
Reply #20 - Feb 4th, 2009, 12:06am

Word. This worked. Thanks, fjen.

What I was doing wrong = not quitting and restarting Processing.
Reply #21 - Feb 26th, 2009, 4:10pm

hmm well this is all very interesting. not exactly an ad fro how easy to use processing is.

i too cant get the thing to find one simple library.

mainly because the preferences for the sketch book path doe snot seem to match the path that is shown when you select menu SKETCH>SHOW SKETCHBOOK FOLDER

this seems to be set to wher ethe pde file is which is not in the fodler that is set in preferences
Reply #22 - Feb 26th, 2009, 4:29pm

Could you provide more detail? Specifically, how are they different? Fjen's comment above states it concisely. Remember to start or restart Processing after you place the files.
Reply #23 - Feb 26th, 2009, 5:00pm

the menu sketch>show sketchbook k folder

opens the folder where the pde file is

the run time error says that the libraries folder should be in the sketchbook folder...  

the preferences say where the libraries should live and is generally something or other/Processing  

where as the sketchbook folder is generally

something or other/Processing/tendrils where the tendrid.pde  file is..  

having put the libraries folder in both places just to be sure with the correct folder naming as above and restarting processing .. still not finding the library.

the library is traer.physics   in folder physics/library/physics.jar.

thanks for your help...

Reply #24 - Feb 26th, 2009, 6:32pm

On my Windows Processing 1.0.1, the menu is called Sketch > Show Sketch Folder, not sketchbook.
The sketch folder can live in temp dir if it is a new, unsaved file, or can be in the sketchbook or even in the installation dir if I open an example.

The sketchbook location can be seen, and changed, in File > Preferences.

You need to put the library in <sketchbook path>/libraries/physics/library/physics.jar
Reply #25 - Mar 24th, 2009, 5:02pm

Hello,

I am trying to get any library to work.

libraries are downloaded placed in the libraries folder for example

/Users/<user>/Documents/Processing/libraries

for example the supercollider library I have in the following

supercollider/library/supercollider.jar

for ess i have

Ess/library/ess.jar

none of these appear in the import menu - I've closed and restarted the IDE several times.

the only way I can get Ess to work is if I use the add file option - which isn't ideal as I want one directory for all libraries.

I am running on os x 10.5.5 and latest version of processing.

can anyone shed any light on what I could be doing wrong, or is this a known bug?
Pages: 1 2