We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › where is the "libraries" folder?
Pages: 1 2 
where is the "libraries" folder?? (Read 7876 times)
where is the "libraries" folder??
Nov 25th, 2008, 3:57pm

In all the "beta" versions of Processing,
the download included the Processing application
inside a folder that also include a "libraries" subfolder
where I could add my own libraries, or contributed libraries,
such as: carnivore, mysql, noc, physics, sonia_v2_9, ...
and so on.

Now with Processing 1.0, the download just includes
the bare Processing application, with no extra baggage.

So where do I put my libraries??

How do I add the "noc" (Nature of Code) library?
How do I add the "physics" (traer.physics) library?

(Mac OS X, 10.4.11 PPC and 10.5 Intel)

dxjones@gmail.com

Re: where is the "libraries" folder??
Reply #1 - Nov 25th, 2008, 4:30pm

Among other things, it is useful to read the Changes file (link in Download page): "Beginning with this release, all libraries should be placed in the sketchbook folder, inside a folder called "libraries". It's a bad idea to put them in the Processing libraries folder, because 1) users may not have access to that folder in lab environments, and 2) it's now hidden on OS X (see below)."

OK, you have to go back to version 0149 to see the info, so it is not obvious... But you will find a similar info in the Libraries page: "Each [library] must be downloaded separately and added to the "libraries" folder inside the Processing sketchbook folder."
Reply #2 - Nov 25th, 2008, 5:02pm

Thanks!

I have obviously dated myself as a pre-0149 Processing guy.
Time to get back up to speed.  Smiley

Reply #3 - Nov 25th, 2008, 5:53pm

otherwise u can see your library folder here:

go to processing app. in ur app.folder
show contents package
go to contents/resources/java/libraries
Reply #4 - Nov 25th, 2008, 5:57pm

goph51 wrote on Nov 25th, 2008, 5:53pm:
otherwise u can see your library folder here:

go to processing app. in ur app.folder
show contents package
go to contents/resources/java/libraries

No, please do not do that. This will not work in future releases.
Reply #5 - Nov 26th, 2008, 12:52am

hi Fry !

i wrote that just to watch the folder
Smiley

ciao

Reply #6 - Dec 4th, 2008, 5:29pm

hi,

not sure if its a bug or just me or my setup, but I have tried to install several libraries this PM with no luck at all. Following the instructions as per the documentation.

The setup is: MacOS X 10.5.5

procession 1.0  latest version

always getting advise starting with release 0149, ...etc.. folder named 'libraries' inside sketchbook folder

confusing as well however I have identified the location and put some libraries downloaded in there and keep getting the error Sad

files piled in there now are:

controlP5.jar
eliza.jar
interfascia.jar

so, are these .jar files correct ??

any response appreciated Smiley

Reply #7 - Dec 4th, 2008, 9:37pm

Hello Naomi!

Assuming you have located your sketchbook folder: <SKETCHBOOK>, the folder that shall contain additional libraries shall be a subdirectory of the sketchbook folder and named "libraries".

That is: <SKETCHBOOK>/libraries.

In that folder, you shall uncompress the archives of the library you want to install.

For example, for controlP5, the archive contains a "documentation", a "examples" and a "library" folder. The "library" folder of the archive is the one which contains the jar (controlP5.jar).

Hence, the controlP5.jar shall be placed as follows:

<SKETCHBOOK>/libraries/controlP5/library/controlP5.jar

Hopefully, this shall solve your issue (if the above is clear enough Wink ).
Reply #8 - Dec 5th, 2008, 11:04am

hi tan

thanks for the clear instruction Smiley however, still its appearing buggy -

I put the folder controlP5 and its contents into <SKETCHBOOK>/libraries/

...which gives me the same path as described.  So running a given example complains again and opens a new libraries folder.. anyway copying same folder in here etc, has finnally worked but now with copies scattered all over the place. I hope its not a pattern as I try other libraries.

Anyway, thanks for the advise, it does work, but am suspicious that there is a buggy implementation still.

I will persevere and if it reoccurs, will post a bug report

thanks,

naomi
Reply #9 - Dec 5th, 2008, 11:43am

hi,

following up earlier post, I realised that the path to <SKETCHBOOK> has been some how set to

~/.../...//Documents/Processing/libraries

when it is now set to

~/.../...//Documents/Processing/

the path described is the <SKETCHBOOK> folder, and in there Processing is expecting to find Libraries - hence why it was creating a new Librbaries folder inside the existing one - if you see what I mean.

Anyway, first making sure that you go yto the Processing menu -> Preferences... make sure of the path to this folder....

I still find it confusing at the moment as neither of the other Libraries I am trying have worked so far.

is Processing fussy about nesting of library .JAR files in particular folders after is has started to search from the <SKETCHBOOK> folder ?

Reply #10 - Dec 5th, 2008, 11:54am

hi

in answer to my own questinon - yes it is fussy about the structure, naming (& spellin !)

As described by tanepierre you do need to keep the name of the library eg controlP5 as exactly described. My other problem had been a spelling error, having renamed a folder incorrectly.

So, in general, the procedure should probably be to copy the downloaded library folder intact into the <SKETCHBOOK> folder. Then move the example files and docs out to another convenient location, to get started.

Thanks, again, I can now start to look at the libraries confdent that they install OK

naomi
Reply #11 - Dec 5th, 2008, 12:26pm

hi,

its still not working.  Sad

my <SKETCHBOOK> folder

~/Documents/Processing/

has

/libraries/geomerative/library

with files

batikfont.jar
geomerative.jar

now open & run the example file createRing - same general error:

The package "rgeom" does not exist. You mught be missing a library

Oh well

site http://www.ricardmarxer.com/geomerative/ has instructions:

unzip the contents of this file to /path/to/sketchbook/libraries

which I have evidently done :-0

Reply #12 - Dec 5th, 2008, 1:02pm

hi, you have done everything correctly, it is that the package rgeom has changed to geomerative, you might be using an old example. for the latest version you dont import rgeom but
Code:

import geomerative.*;

try to run an example from the overview section of geomerative's website. worked for me.
best,
andreas
Reply #13 - Dec 5th, 2008, 2:30pm

naomi wrote on Dec 5th, 2008, 11:54am:
hi

So, in general, the procedure should probably be to copy the downloaded library folder intact into the <SKETCHBOOK> folder. Then move the example files and docs out to another convenient location, to get started.

naomi

You're welcome. Glad that it worked.

Another way to address the problem of the "convenient location" might be to draw symbolic links (unix) / shortcuts (win) to the subdirectory of the library within the "libraries" folder so that you access examples and documentation by going through the symbolic links / shortcuts you'd store in a location convenient to you while keeping the libraries installation simple by only having to uncompress the libraries zip packages in the "libraries" folder (aka <SKETCHBOOK>/libraries).

For example, in the <DOC> folder, keep a <controlP5> linking to "<SKETCHBOOK>/libraries/controlP5/documentation" (or "<SKETCHBOOK>/libraries/controlP5/" if you want to keep docs and examples together)so that when you want to browse the documentation, you just have to visit the <DOC> folder.

Your mileage may vary but this may help keeping things organized in a manner suitable to you while minimizing work to shuffle things around.
Reply #14 - Dec 29th, 2008, 4:55am

tanepierre wrote on Dec 4th, 2008, 9:37pm:
Hence, the controlP5.jar shall be placed as follows:

I am also having trouble getting controlP5 working with Processing 1.0 (OSX 10.4)

My sketchbook folder is the same as Naomi descibed (~/Documents/Processing/) and the library is placed exactly as above, but I'm getting "package does not exist" every time.

The process seems straightforward enough, why is Processing not seeing the library
Pages: 1 2