We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › complex bezier as motion path?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
complex bezier as motion path?? (Read 768 times)
complex bezier as motion path??
Nov 23rd, 2008, 9:14pm

Is there a way anyone has found to be able to import paths from svg or ai and then use those as a motion path for an object. Somehow I'd like to be able to query x/y coordinates of a point on a curve that I'm able to import.

I see the point on curve function but that seems to only work for 2 vertex bezier curve. I'd like to be able to use something similar w/ more complex curve or typography curves from illustrator.

The SVG import seems to only allow drawing and scaling or the svg object - no discreet curve addressing.

anyway, if someone has some option for this I'd really appreciate hearing it...
Re: complex bezier as motion path??
Reply #1 - Nov 24th, 2008, 4:23pm

Is this something that can be done with geomerative? It has an SVG import as well as font->path ability (IIRC).

It can be found here: http://www.ricardmarxer.com/geomerative/

I'm going to be looking at a similar area myself shortly, so would be interested in finding out how you get on!
Reply #2 - Nov 24th, 2008, 7:55pm

Hey thanks - I found/downloaded this yesterday and haven't had a chance to take a look at it yet, but I'll let you know how things go..

Thanks for the reply - if you run into anything else, I'd love to hear

-jf
Reply #3 - Nov 25th, 2008, 2:28am

Okay, so I had a bit of time to play w/ the geomerative lib and it's got all I need to do what I set out to do... very easy to take an svg and grab each path and then  get a set of points that fall on that path... really easy.

I highly recommend it. I'm barely using a piece of it and it's going everything I need.

-jf
Reply #4 - Nov 25th, 2008, 2:11pm

Cool - Geomerative is on my list of things to try... unfortunately there are a whole bunch of other things waiting as well!

I am especially interested in extracting paths from fonts, but the SVG thing will probably turn out to be even more useful (drawing complex motion paths using Inkscape for example)
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1