We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionExhibition › Self Preserving Algorithm
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Self Preserving Algorithm (Read 943 times)
Self Preserving Algorithm
Nov 20th, 2008, 12:34pm

Hi,

This has absolutely nothing to do with algorithms that preserve yourself. (Well maybe a little) It's my first proper bit of work with processing. It's fairly basic and straightforward.

It's just a little bit of fun, but useless interactivity I wanted to implement with the front page of my portfolio. Please ignore the rest of the portfolio, it's still a work in progress)

http://www.rdwong.net

And yes, you can kill the robot. What kind of self-respecting male would I be if you couldn't kill the cute little robot? It just takes a bit of patience.

Regards,
Richard.
Re: Self Preserving Algorithm
Reply #1 - Nov 21st, 2008, 3:55am

I felt kinda bad killing the robot :/

Question:

That robot is a pretty complex set of shapes... is it a raster-based PImage or is it made entirely out of BeginShape() ?
Reply #2 - Nov 21st, 2008, 6:59am

Don't worry, he comes back to life everytime you refresh.

It's actually done using the PShape, loadShape and .svg files.

I originally attempted to draw him with beginShape, but as it became very messy very quickly, I fell to the dark side. But I still wanted that basic kinda feel that you get with images drawn with beginShape.

regards,
Richard
Reply #3 - Nov 25th, 2008, 10:38pm

That was a cool new way to see Processing!
Thanks for sharing! Smiley
Reply #4 - Nov 26th, 2008, 4:37am

Hello cherd, this is vry nice, I enjoyed killing the robot but also felt guilty afterwards and I had to refresh before closing the tab. Smiley

However take it as a suggestion: Java UI for a portfolio might not be a very good idea. Personally, I think twice before clicking a link that has an embedded java applet in it because in most systems and browsers (I don't know if there are any that handles these properly) the browser becomes unresponsive until the applet loads itself and starts running. And this may take even more than 4-5 seconds, not a very good first impression. I'm really sorry about processing in this sense because Java implementations for browsers really suck (compared to flash for example which loads itself without hassle) and there is not much the processing team can do about it. P5'ers usually get used to it though...

The second concern in this particular applet is that it is quite demanding on CPU. I have a c2d laptop and this applet uses almost all of one of my cores and computer fans start to spin, which isn't nice for a portfolio welcome page. On desktop systems, it doesn't matter but you see the difference while using a laptop. Maybe it can be optimised to use less CPU.

And for the "Java" problem, did you try processing.js by running it on JavaScript engine? The browser hang problems are usually solved by using JavaScript but CPU usage will probably go higher, which is bad... Just an idea, anyway.

my 10 bits. cheers!
Reply #5 - Nov 27th, 2008, 4:10am

Hi pyramind,

Thanks for the 10 bits.

I am actually VERY unfamiliar with the shoulds and shouldn'ts of online viewing with respect to Java/Flash/HTML etc, so this advice is very very welcome. Processing is actually the first real code I have learnt at all, so I don't really know what I should or shouldn't do when publishing something to the web.

Furthermore, I'm a fresh grad who has had to churn out a portfolio in a limited time and I am dealing with a lot of problems, especially when it comes to loading times with a lot of my various pages. (Especially my swf files).

Could I trouble you to point me in the right URL direction in terms of the do's and don'ts of web publishing if there is such a site?

Thanks, really appreciate it.

regards,
Richard

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1