We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionExhibition › Processing Monsters - CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
Pages: 1 2 
Processing Monsters - CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS (Read 2702 times)
Processing Monsters - CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
Nov 11th, 2008, 1:52pm

http://rmx.cz/monsters/

Processing Monsters are result of my effort to learn Processing and encourage others to do so by showing the source code.
Also, at the end, my plan is to do a short music reactive video using these monsters.

There are no restrictions at all apart from these two: Monsters are strictly Black&White and mouse reactive. Everything else is up to you..

It doesn't need to be a masterpiece you spend two weeks on... Most of those that are now on the page, I created in a couple hours or so..

I will credit every contributor and provide link to their website.

Thanks ,]
Re: Processing Monsters - CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
Reply #1 - Nov 23rd, 2008, 12:40am

I am working on a monster for submission right now. I will let you know when it's near completion.
Reply #2 - Nov 24th, 2008, 1:38am

im gonna make one too, that is a cool idea!!
Reply #3 - Nov 27th, 2008, 10:11pm

this is a great ideia
count me in. Smiley
Reply #4 - Nov 28th, 2008, 3:27pm

I grabbed some code from an old project and cobbled one together myself. Here you go:

http://www.robotacid.com/PBeta/eye_monster/index.html

edit: I've read the submission guidelines now - emailed.
Reply #5 - Nov 29th, 2008, 10:55pm

st33d wrote on Nov 28th, 2008, 3:27pm:
I grabbed some code from an old project and cobbled one together myself. Here you go:

http://www.robotacid.com/PBeta/eye_monster/index.html

edit: I've read the submission guidelines now - emailed.

OMG, this thing is beautiful. Reminds me of a boss in Kirby. These shapes are really complex, how did you make them
Reply #6 - Nov 29th, 2008, 11:11pm

Really nice work, st33d!
Found a bug though.. click on the applet and drag the mouse outside of the applet Tongue

or you might call it a feature Wink

seltar
Reply #7 - Nov 30th, 2008, 4:59pm

It's just an eyeball from this project:

http://www.robotacid.com/PBeta/eye4anEye/index.html

I prefer the monster version really.

I like that bug.

Get off your bums and contribute people! All you have to do is use some bits and bobs from an existing project, turn it black and white and stick some eyes on it.
Reply #8 - Nov 30th, 2008, 6:40pm

Lol, looks cool. Will attempt one after exams!!
Reply #9 - Dec 2nd, 2008, 3:12am

st33d wrote on Nov 30th, 2008, 4:59pm:
It's just an eyeball from this project:

http://www.robotacid.com/PBeta/eye4anEye/index.html

I prefer the monster version really.

I like that bug.

Get off your bums and contribute people! All you have to do is use some bits and bobs from an existing project, turn it black and white and stick some eyes on it.

I'm stuck. I'm trying to make a panda that runs in one direction on mouseclick. His head and body come from a GIF but the arm is an ellipse that is *supposed* to sway back and forth... only I can't figure out a piece of code that would sway an ellipse from one end of an arc to another.

If you want to throw me a bone, I'll gladly post the sourcecode here.
Reply #10 - Dec 9th, 2008, 12:40am

My monster is complete and I have sent an email to the OP. Unfortunately, I don't have a way to host the monster myself. Also, it's not nearly as interesting or impressive as some of the other Monsters I've seen.

Some Post-Mortem thoughts:

- I had only upgraded to version 1.0.1 just today so things like PShape were totally unknown/unavailable to me. When I started, I had made the Panda out of a .GIF, which to me looks a little washed-out/blurry. By the time PShape was available to me I didn't want to delay the release any further by going over and making the bear out of PShape--since I would first have to "learn" how PShape works first. If there was one thing I could change on a whim, it would be this.

- I learned a lot about OOP practice. One breakthrough was the Limb Class. I was unsure if whether or not an Object was allowed to have a separate Object inside of it, and was "coding-blind" so to speak inbetween a running-version w/out the Limb Class and finally getting to a functional Limb Class. When I made it to the other side, I was extremely pleased that it worked after fixing a small typographical error. I seem to be getting better and better at creating Objects and Classes.

- The biggest obstacle of them all, even before inventing the Limb Class, was figuring out how to get an Ellipse to sway back and forth. I studied the heck out of sin and even someone else's code that involved spinning a dot around in a circular path (later scrapped). Eventually after screen-sharing over several sessions with a friend I was able to hammer something out. This also required some better understanding of rotate() which I wasn't able to know until I got to chapter 14 in Shiffman's Book. (probably could've saved me a day or two if I had gotten to that chapter sooner)

- The first thing I made were the trees, which regrettably don't do a very good job of making things look interesting. I also wanted some grayed-out background hills to scroll slowly to give a parallax-effect, but had to respect Vojir's B&W-only rule and scrapped the idea.

- None of the code uses P3D either because I'm still quite new to that concept, so I had to be a little clever with the order that Processing draws the 2D elements.

Overall, I had fun. Processing is really gratifying sometimes.
Reply #11 - Dec 9th, 2008, 6:43pm

I was teaching a mate how to program last night.

Unfortunately we didn't get as far as a monster because I think she was somewhat overwhelmed.

But I did put together a simple spring object that can be used for limbs and stuff. I'll try and post it sometime this week.
Reply #12 - Dec 12th, 2008, 12:32am

vojir hasn't updated the site with my monster yet. :/ dang.
Reply #13 - Dec 12th, 2008, 8:56pm

are you still taking submissions?
Reply #14 - Dec 31st, 2008, 2:17am

Dang he STILL hasn't put my monster on his site! I know it's bad but c'mon... it's not THAT bad! Sad
Pages: 1 2