We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionExhibition › Exploring a simple chaotic system
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Exploring a simple chaotic system (Read 1217 times)
Exploring a simple chaotic system
Oct 22nd, 2008, 12:39pm

Hello

Here's an interactive version of the logistic map - an  equation used to illustrate how chaos can appear in even very simple systems.

http://www.personal.leeds.ac.uk/~gy06do/exploringchaos/

Sources linked to on that page. Note also - for anyone interested in this kind of thing - the question at the bottom. Chaos: a digital artifact or something out here, living and breathing in the meatworld?

Dan
Re: Exploring a simple chaotic system
Reply #1 - Oct 23rd, 2008, 7:03pm

link aint working!
Reply #2 - Oct 23rd, 2008, 7:14pm

Wow, I somehow deleted all the files. Oops. Working again now, sorry!
Reply #3 - Oct 25th, 2008, 12:03am

it's cool. is it realy going into total chaos after the critical point has reached. scrolling up seems to strech the points out in a way that looks kind of systematic.
Reply #4 - Oct 29th, 2008, 9:07am

ramin wrote on Oct 25th, 2008, 12:03am:
is it realy going into total chaos after the critical point has reached. scrolling up seems to strech the points out in a way that looks kind of systematic.

It is systematic: it's entirely predictable given the initial conditions. That's what makes it, mathematically, chaos rather than randomness. It *looks* random, but it's not, it's deterministic.

It's when you're trying to apply this to real-world systems that it becomes a problem: the existence of chaos means that   -  e.g. for weather systems - we would have to know the initial conditions to an impossible degree of accuracy to make longer predictions. You can see how the degree of accuracy affects the predictability in this visualisation by changing the number of decimal places you're sweeping by.
Reply #5 - Nov 4th, 2008, 4:24am

Very nice, thanks for sharing. It took me quite a while to realize it was meant to be interactive. An autopilot option might be fun. Also, do both lines have to be the same shade of blue? I am so allergic to math that I don't really understand their relationship to each other. I kept wondering why the moving stripe never jumped to the other line.

Are there any real world systems this relates to? I had read that some Lorenz attractors modeled dripping faucets.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1