We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpOther Libraries › Inkscape Support for Candy
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Inkscape Support for Candy (Read 807 times)
Inkscape Support for Candy
Oct 12th, 2008, 11:40pm

I have been working on adding Inkscape support for Candy. I am close to being ready to release my work to the community, but I was wondering what is the best way to do this?
Re: Inkscape Support for Candy
Reply #1 - Oct 13th, 2008, 3:57pm

afaik it's now being maintained by fry, so you should propably ask him directly...
Reply #2 - Oct 14th, 2008, 6:30am

hi joshua,
is inkscape considered to be an contributed library does inkscape depend on candy do you have a website where i could take a look at what you have so far and how your implementation works let me know, then i can guide you further.
best,
andreas

Reply #3 - Oct 14th, 2008, 6:52am

Perhaps I need to clarify:

Candy is only able to use SVG images created with Adobe Illustrator. I have been working on making Candy compatible with SVG images created with Inkscape an Open Source vector graphics editor.

Thanks I'll send fry a message.
Reply #4 - Oct 14th, 2008, 2:52pm

This sounds great, what do the changes cover? I assume some of the missing style attribute stuff?

The Candy library (in its current state) is about to disappear in the next release, have you been working from the SVN sources (PShapeSVG) or from an older version of Candy?

Would be nice to have better Inkscape support--it's a little frustrating that as an open source project our primary focus has been for Illustrator.

The easiest way to get code to me, and/or track status would be to file a bug and attach a zip of your work, with some description of what's going on.
Reply #5 - Oct 14th, 2008, 4:37pm

Aah... so a PShapeSVG class is finally arriving.  That's good news.  Did the patches that I sent in at the beginning of summer to handle more styles make it in this new class.  I might be able to port them, if needed.

I haven't been following the trunk lately since I've been caught with the project that was funding my PhD, but that's now finished I have a bit of free time in my hands.
Reply #6 - Oct 15th, 2008, 5:03am

Exactly. Inkscape uses the style= tag, and I was just parsing the data.

I had been working with the included source from 0.148, but I will definately take a look at the SVN.

Ricard, is this what your work handles?
Reply #7 - Oct 15th, 2008, 5:53am

I strongly agree with Ben on this; getting solid support for Inkscape-produced SVG files would be wonderful! The SVN tree is the best place to see the recent changes. There have been major changes to how shapes are handled internally in the last few weeks.
Reply #8 - Oct 15th, 2008, 10:13am

Yep, the style tag is what I made a patch for.  But I do think it's going to need a bit of rework for the new PShape stuff.

I will see if I can port it in the coming days.

Inkscape support is the reason I did this.  I only work on GNU/Linux and when possible only free software applications.
Reply #9 - Oct 15th, 2008, 2:35pm

Ah, Ricard--I was removed from the bug CC where you posted the code:
http://dev.processing.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=771
So I was waiting for your implementation but never got the messages about it.

At any rate, if you or Joshua have the time to hack it up with PShapeSVG, that would be most helpful. If you have questions re: the PShapeSVG implementation, please post here.
Reply #10 - Nov 3rd, 2008, 5:26pm

Oh this would be wonderful! I was working on a project and using InkScape to create my SVG files. I can not afford Illustrator and too be honest why would I want to with applications like InkScape and Gimp out there. I'd gladly be a guinea pig if you need one. Otherwise is there a way to convert InkScape SVGs to Illustrator ones?

-jb
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1