We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpIntegration › search collection of PDEs for specific words
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
search collection of PDEs for specific words (Read 774 times)
search collection of PDEs for specific words
Oct 8th, 2008, 6:08pm

here's a seemingly dumb question - is there a way to search through all the PDE's on a computer for words within each file's code? seems like a straightforward thing but I cant figure out how to do it. I download source files whenever i can to teach myself and I often want to go back to something from the past, but can't remember where I left it...

This is more of a windows xp sort of question, but I presume someone out there must have tried to do something similar...they are just text files after all...right?

thanks
Re: search collection of PDEs for specific words
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2008, 2:54pm

Simple way: use the Find feature in Windows... It is able to find strings in files.

Better way: download, install and use some grep-like utility. For Windows, there are two I like: Agent Ransack, which I used a long time, and BareGrep, which is very fast, and it is my current choice. Both are free (in the base versions).

Others might advise to install stuff like Copernic or Google Desktop Search, but I found them a bit too intrusive for my taste. Since it is likely you have all the Processing code in one folder, it should be both fast and easy to search it.
Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2008, 5:43pm

Thanks for the response.

I guess I should've mentioned that I had tried searching using the native Windows search function but to no avail. I have XP and I made sure to specify that the search should look for the word within the file and to search all documents. I am pretty sure that I know of files that had the word I was looking for, but did not show up in the results...I really couldn't figure out why that might be.
Reply #3 - Oct 10th, 2008, 6:05pm

oompa_l wrote on Oct 10th, 2008, 5:43pm:
Thanks for the response.

I guess I should've mentioned that I had tried searching using the native Windows search function but to no avail. I have XP and I made sure to specify that the search should look for the word within the file and to search all documents. I am pretty sure that I know of files that had the word I was looking for, but did not show up in the results...I really couldn't figure out why that might be.

Hi, I'm not sure why, but the standard search function in XP rarely finds words in files for me, especially not in source code files. Either it ignores files with extensions it doesn't recognise or maybe it's broken. Google Desktop Search works but seems to take over the whole show, I'd rather a lighter solution. If you are an old timer like me, there are 'DOS' commands to search through files or multiple free grep utilities that do a nice job. Personally I use Eclipse when searching through Processing source code.

Regards,

Stpehen

Edit: Turns out it's meant to do that: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;309173
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1