We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › Where is Processing taught And how is it used
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Where is Processing taught? And how is it used? (Read 1117 times)
Where is Processing taught? And how is it used?
Sep 23rd, 2008, 3:15am

I'm very curious about how Processing is used in education: universities, art schools, K-12, etc. Please share with us.

This is similar to the thread "Who uses Processing? And Why?" but, more focused.

I'll start it off. Thank you!

Casey
Re: Where is Processing taught? And how is it used
Reply #1 - Sep 23rd, 2008, 3:24am

We use Processing extensively in the Department of Design | Media Arts at UCLA. It's the first programming language we introduce to the undergraduate students through a sophomore class called Interactivity. This course teaching programming within the context of visual media and interaction design. It's a foundation for our Web, game, and media art courses. Processing is also used by our graduate MFA students for prototyping and some use it to create a very wide range of thesis work.

Work can be seen on the department website:
www.dma.ucla.edu
Reply #2 - Sep 23rd, 2008, 9:53am

We use Processing in ITT Dublin in Ireland. The degree it is used on is a 4 year course in Software Development. The modules in question are given in the final 2 semesters, 'Interactive Media Design' and 'Interactive Media Development'.
Reply #3 - Sep 28th, 2008, 6:01pm

We're leaving Processing at CIID (www.ciid.dk) but I have a feeling you may already know that.  

It's going to be part of the Computational Design module in the in the Interaction Design course, helping with rapid prototyping, interfacing with electronics and other stuff. Starting tomorrow as it happens, I'll update when I know more. Smiley
Reply #4 - Oct 5th, 2008, 12:27am

Hi there,

I'm using Processing in a graduate course I teach in the Visual Language and Interactive Media MA/MFA program at the University of Central Florida.  It's my first semester using it, but the idea is to give students an introduction to basic programming techniques and I'm very happy with it so far.

Rudy
Reply #5 - Oct 17th, 2008, 6:27pm

I just ran my first tutorial on Processing here in the School of Geography at Leeds University, UK. Only six of us there, all java modellers, but there was a very positive response.

I've just started using Processing myself (at the start of 08) to visualise and interact with things like landscapes (and, er, a model of potato genes!)

I'll be going on to a tutorial for "4D" visualisation of agent movement through time and space. A colleague is using an existing program that does this - hugely expensive. Processing will let me do the same thing in a day.

The tutorial I ran got them coding a simple exploration of chaos in a basic population model; interactive version here:

http://www.personal.leeds.ac.uk/~gy06do/exploringchaos/

... which a colleague has shown to two English students: he was able to use it to explain what each part of the equation was doing. Exactly why I want to carry on using Processing!
Reply #6 - Oct 19th, 2008, 12:12am

I'm about to finish the first year of teaching processing in the Bachelor of Games Design at Griffith University in Brisbane Australia. Course codes are 1109gfs and 1112gfs.

It's a one year foundation subject that focuses on the technical side of life in the games industry. The results have been very promising for the students. And it looks like the subject is going to turn into a corner stone of the degree.
Reply #7 - Oct 24th, 2008, 4:28pm

Hi,
As a working professional in the field on interaction design and visual design, I would like to know if there are any online courses.

I am currently studying it through Fry and Casey's book and the online tutorials.

Reply #8 - Nov 4th, 2008, 6:41pm

I'm teaching Processing for the first time this year, at the middle school level, grades 6-8. I have a group of 18 middle school students who are learning to program using Processing.

Many of them were exposed to visual programming for the first time last year when I did an integrated math/technology project using Design By Numbers.

So far, I've worked through the first 5 or 6 chapters of Dan Shiffman's "Learning Processing" book with them, which I'm adapting and using as a general framework for teaching it. It's worked well.

My plan is that they'll be starting a final project involving a lot of interactivity soon, which will be completed mid-December.

Here's the class site (not much there so far, but I hope to get some student work up in the form of applets):

http://honeycreekschool.org/hctechnology/honey-creek-technology-classes/middle-school-technology-elective/semester-1-visual-and-physical-programming/
Reply #9 - Nov 5th, 2008, 1:35am

I'm an Experimental Media student at Emerson College in Boston and learned Processing in a class called Programming for Artists last spring. It was taught by Doug Goodwin who I believe also taught at Cal Arts. Usually the language you learn in the Emerson course is up to the teacher, he chose Processing and hopefully it'll be offered again this spring. I believe Doug has some of the projects on his site: http://cairn.com.

@chromedecay: so awesome that you're teaching processing at the middle school level. i think that's great and "Learning Processing" the perfect book for that.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1