We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSound,  Music Libraries › Minim: How to scan and audio file without playing
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Minim: How to scan and audio file without playing (Read 608 times)
Minim: How to scan and audio file without playing
Sep 15th, 2008, 11:28pm

Im trying to quickly scan a wav file to draw the wave form of the entire file. Not sure how to seek through a sound file without playing it. Has anyone done this before.
Re: Minim: How to scan and audio file without play
Reply #1 - Sep 25th, 2008, 5:25pm

I dont think you can do this with Minim, I switched to Ess and found a way to step through the audio file quickly and get process the FFT spectrum.
Re: Minim: How to scan and audio file without play
Reply #2 - Oct 28th, 2008, 2:03am

You are correct, this is not currently possible with Minim unless you load the file into an AudioSample and then use getSample to get an entire channel as a float[]. Obviously that's not ideal if you want to step through a very large file. I will probably add the ability to do that with an AudioPlayer at some point.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1