We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexSuggestions & BugsSoftware,  Documentation,  Website Suggestions › Open File Path and Sketchbook List
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Open File Path and Sketchbook List (Read 3308 times)
Open File Path and Sketchbook List
Aug 26th, 2008, 4:14am

Hello,

Two features I would really like to see added are:

1) File - Sketchbook displays only 1 column, non-scrollable, of my sketches. This is only useful for people who have only a few sketches. The tool would be far more useful if you could scroll through all your sketches and not just the first 45 or so.

2) File - Open always opens in the directory in which Processing is installed rather than in the directory where the PDE's are located. File-Open would be more user friendly  if it either opened in the user defined PDE library or if there was an option in the preferences file that allowed the user to specify a default directory for the open.

Re: Open File Path and Sketchbook List
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2008, 11:17am

For 1 you can create subfolders in your sketchbook, and keep your sketches organised like that, and the display will show you sub menus for each folder.
Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2008, 11:48am

I concur with JohnG. I see too often Windows Start Menu in some people's computers using 2 or more columns. It is more confusing than useful. I try and organize my menu by making sub-dirs by theme (Net, Text, Image, etc.).
I do the same for my sketches: I try and group them by project and/or theme.

For the second point, I see Processing opening to the Sketchbook location I have set in my Preferences. On Windows at least. You should indicate which system you use, in case it is related.
Reply #3 - Aug 26th, 2008, 2:56pm

Hi JohnG and PhiLho,

As to creating subfolders, that thought had not occurred to me - especially since a sketch can itself have subfolders for things like graphics and fonts. An elegant work around but why not just give the sketchbook the ability to scroll through the list. I have seen that sort of thing implemented in other software.

PhilLho: as to the 2nd part, I am on XP. When I initially open Processing, if I do a File-Open, it goes to the install directory. File-Open only opens in my Sketchbook directory (which I changed from its default location by using the Preferences option) once I have opened and then saved a sketch.

I really would like to just open Processing and go straight to my ZZZZthingy sketch without having to jump through any hoops.

Jim
Reply #4 - Aug 26th, 2008, 3:21pm

I don't disagree with need to handle any number of sketches, somehow. Just providing a quick and elegant workaround. Smiley

And well, I am on XP too, and if I run Processing 0135 or 0141 (haven't installed latest version on this machine yet) and directly do File > Open, it opens straight to the sketchbook directory. So it seems your wish is already fulfilled but there is an issue somewhere, either on your side or in (one of) the latest versions.
Reply #5 - Aug 26th, 2008, 8:13pm

I'm on XP SP2 and Processing 0135.  Sigh. I guess it's just one of those things that happens in a Windows environment: something works one way on one person's pc and differently (or not at all) on another's.

Of course it could also have something to do with the Java install. For example, sometimes when I go to render a sketch all I get is a white screen. If I click the run button again, voila it renders.

Nothing like software to keep you on your toes and aggravated.

Jim
Reply #6 - Aug 27th, 2008, 5:02pm

If you can, try and upgrade to latest version, Processing went through lot of improvements lately. Your problem might disappear "magically"... Smiley
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1