We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionExhibition › Radiohead inspired 3D webcam sketch
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Radiohead inspired 3D webcam sketch (Read 4578 times)
Radiohead inspired 3D webcam sketch
Jul 31st, 2008, 10:50pm

I was inspired by the recent radiohead video and created a quick sketch to generate 3D images from webcam video using the pixel intensity as a Z value.

A video and the source code can be found on my site: http://www.andybest.net/2008/07/3d-webcam-lines/
Re: Radiohead inspired 3D webcam sketch
Reply #1 - Aug 5th, 2008, 10:38pm

That is pretty terrific looking!
Reply #2 - Aug 6th, 2008, 12:55am

Thats fantastic. Saw something similar the other day but this is faster and better executed. Great job. I've done some webcam stuff in Flash and am really looking forward to seeing what Processing has to offer in this area. I've seen some very inspirational stuff so far and this is certainly up there.

What software did you use to capture the video? I use Camtasia but it occasionally freezes the recordingduring playback.
Reply #3 - Aug 6th, 2008, 11:50pm

thats pretty awesome, is it realtime?
Reply #4 - Aug 7th, 2008, 12:04am

works great here ^^
thks for sharing
Reply #5 - Aug 10th, 2008, 3:52am

jimblibs wrote on Aug 6th, 2008, 12:55am:
What software did you use to capture the video I use Camtasia but it occasionally freezes the recordingduring playback.

I just saved tiff frames at the end of the draw loop and imported them as an image sequence into Quicktime
Reply #6 - Aug 10th, 2008, 3:53am

Manic wrote on Aug 6th, 2008, 11:50pm:
thats pretty awesome, is it realtime

Yeah! Try it out Smiley
Reply #7 - Nov 18th, 2008, 3:15am

Hi,

I've updated the sketch to include additive blending after seeing Vade's Rutt Etra plugin for Quartz Composer.

There is source code along with a video on my blog:

http://www.andybest.net/2008/11/3d-webcam-lines-additive-blending/

Hack the source and see what you can come up with Smiley
Reply #8 - Nov 18th, 2008, 7:00pm

That's a fantastic development Andy. Thanks for sharing the source code too. It code works perfectly and all this in 51 lines! Smiley Well Done.
Reply #9 - Aug 4th, 2009, 7:10am

Hi Andy and thank your for this great piece of code! Cheesy
I have a problem with it since I have a macbookpro running 10.5.7 it doesn't work anymore, the screen windows staus grey and nothing happens... I installed the latest version of processing and I don'h have any problem with other sketches using video...
Any Idea?
Reply #10 - Aug 4th, 2009, 8:21am

he talked about a bugfix in his updated post. did you read it ?
Reply #11 - Aug 4th, 2009, 1:08pm

very nice work
Reply #12 - Aug 5th, 2009, 6:56pm

That's really awesome.
Kudos.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1