We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
tiny request with IDE (Read 1022 times)
tiny request with IDE
Jun 23rd, 2008, 1:24am

This has been on my mind for a while, but I never mentioned it as it is too non-critical and minor to bring up I thought. But then I just realized I might as well just mention it, in case it does get added to the todo list!

Theres a few things actually, some of them are purely personal preference - so only mentioning them in case its straightforward to add them as an option.

- I've got my tab set to 4 spaces, and quite often I find things don't line up (it was like that with 2 spaces too). I think the tab just indents by 4 spaces (or whatever) instead of pushing to the next tabstop. I know its not that big of a deal, but I like my code to look nice too Tongue so end up fine tuning the alignments with spaces

- I'm not too keen on the way the text starts so close to the left edge, when I maximize my window and the window is on the left edge of the screen, the text is almost touching my bezel. Maybe a left margin option?

- The search/replace could definitely do with some improvement. I find myself always copy/pasting between xcode and the processing PDE. I'm not asking for full on RegExp style thing, but at least a whole words option.

- A 'currently open sketches' menu item, like what apps usually have in their 'window' menu. So you can easily switch between open sketches (and if you do go as far as a 'window' menu a 'tile horizontally' or 'tile vertically' would go down quite well too!

- I would prefer if it didn't open my last sketches that were open. I sometimes have loads of sketches open, and I shutdown processing. And usually launch processing by doubleclicking on a PDE file, so it when it opens I get all the old sketches everywhere as well as the one I doubleclicked on (and usually open twice if I had it open before).

Like I said, tiny personal requests which would just make my life (and maybe a few others) a tiny bit more comfortable. Despite these little things I mentioned, I still prefer to develop in processing than xcode... I just love the fact that it launches in a few seconds, you can type in code and press run without saving or anything... absolutely brilliant. But I thought I might just mention these to get it off my chest Tongue

cheers,

Re: tiny request with IDE
Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2008, 9:01am

hi memo!

requests added to the forum tend to get hidden after a while .. there's a bug and enhancement database at http://dev.processing.org/bugs that is a better place for such things. when you're posting there make sure to search first, i think some things you mention are already in. and make it seperate requests.

thanks!
F
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1