We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProcessing DevelopmentLibraries,  Tool Development › BoxWrap2d physics library - seeking feedback
Pages: 1 2 3 
BoxWrap2d physics library - seeking feedback (Read 20617 times)
Re: BoxWrap2d physics library - seeking feedback
Reply #15 - Jan 16th, 2009, 2:26pm

Hello and thanks for the great library.

A small observation - when I tried to run the example (SwingingDemo) for processing 1.0.1, I needed to comment the following lines in order to make it work:

// import org.jbox2d.testbed.tests.*;
// import org.jbox2d.util.blob.*;
// import org.jbox2d.testbed.timingTests.*;

I don't know exactly what is the problem, but I'm just sharing in case other people have problems.

Cheers
Reply #16 - Jan 16th, 2009, 7:47pm

homesick_alien wrote on Jan 16th, 2009, 2:26pm:
Hello and thanks for the great library.

A small observation - when I tried to run the example (SwingingDemo) for processing 1.0.1, I needed to comment the following lines in order to make it work:

// import org.jbox2d.testbed.tests.*;
// import org.jbox2d.util.blob.*;
// import org.jbox2d.testbed.timingTests.*;

I don't know exactly what is the problem, but I'm just sharing in case other people have problems.

Cheers

Hmm, sorry about that, I must have missed that when I uploaded.  I'll fix that ASAP.
Reply #17 - Feb 10th, 2009, 6:01am

Great, i had the same problem homesic_alien had..

Thanks to you for this great port! now as it is working ill see if i can get some things done ive planned... if not i will ask again Smiley
Reply #18 - Feb 21st, 2009, 10:00pm

noob question:
I got the zip-file downloaded and went to its examples/SwingingDemo folder, the opened SwingingDemo.pde and clicked "Run". I got this error:

"The package "org.jbox2d" does not exist. You might be missing a library."
and
"Startin with release 0149, libraries must be installed in a folder named 'libraries' inside the 'sketchbook' folder."

I searched the boxwrap2d-folder for anything named jbox2d but only found some html-files and a file named JBox2dP5Test.java

In short: Which files do I have to put where to make the example run?
Reply #19 - Mar 6th, 2009, 2:06pm

I have the same problem as loldrup.  I got the zip-file expanded to My Documents/Processing/libraries/.  "Processing" is my 'sketchbook' folder.  Yet:

"The package "org.jbox2d.testbed.tests" does not exist. You might be missing a library."
and
"Starting with release 0149, libraries must be installed in a folder named 'libraries' inside the 'sketchbook' folder."
Reply #20 - Mar 6th, 2009, 2:22pm

After reading everything, fixed it by commenting out
//import org.jbox2d.testbed.timingTests.*;
//import org.jbox2d.util.blob.*;
//import org.jbox2d.testbed.tests.*;
Reply #21 - Mar 6th, 2009, 3:03pm

Sure thing - now it works Smiley
Reply #22 - Mar 17th, 2009, 3:42pm

hi ewjordan:

is it possible to include the MouseJoint class in the wrapper to enable mouse interactivity?
Reply #23 - Mar 17th, 2009, 9:48pm

Yes, it is definitely possible - right now I don't have time to do it, but I'll add it to the todo list and add it to the next version.

I'll also try to clean up those lingering import issues, I'm not sure exactly what happened there, it may just be that I forgot to update the demo file.
Reply #24 - Jun 10th, 2009, 2:59pm

I'm really excited about getting into this. I'm a beginning processing user, so I'll probably hit the learning curve hard, but this is the reason I started to try to learn processing in the first place- to get my feet wet with programming so that I could write a 2d physics-based platformer game. Has anyone written a processing sketch using box2d and animated sprites yet, or is all the work so far still using lines and primitives? I have a bunch of sprite artwork I would love to shoehorn into some box2d bipeds!
Reply #25 - Jun 10th, 2009, 3:54pm

weevil wrote on Jun 10th, 2009, 2:59pm:
I'm really excited about getting into this. I'm a beginning processing user, so I'll probably hit the learning curve hard, but this is the reason I started to try to learn processing in the first place- to get my feet wet with programming so that I could write a 2d physics-based platformer game. Has anyone written a processing sketch using box2d and animated sprites yet, or is all the work so far still using lines and primitives I have a bunch of sprite artwork I would love to shoehorn into some box2d bipeds!

It'll be easy to do in processing since sprites are essentially textured boxes with transparency info. All you'll need to do is instead of rendering a box draw the sprite/image with the correct translation & rotation that you get from the physics sim.

You might want to brush up on the basic idea behind matrix stacks & rotation and translation matrices (even though they're created and managed internally) or just Linear Algebra in general as it's a big help with video games.
Reply #26 - Jun 12th, 2009, 2:04pm

The main box2d site has some learning resources on it's wiki, but since they are for languages I don't know- c++ and python, will those help me with BoxWrap2d?
Reply #27 - Jun 12th, 2009, 2:27pm

The C++ tutorial I have read today helped me to understand the concepts behind Box2D, thus behind JBox2D.
They are slightly more advanced than needed for boxwrap2d but still useful, at least to understand the various concepts behind the joints, the differences between bodies and shapes, etc.
Now, I know C++, but actually you don't need to know the language, just skip the remarks about memory management, pointers and such...

The good news: I plan to do experiments with JBox2D (not sure yet if I will use boxwrap2d) and want to make a tutorial along the process... I think I understood how to animate sprites, etc., but I need to try.
The bad news: it depends on my free time, which is sparse...  Roll Eyes
Reply #28 - Jun 12th, 2009, 5:42pm

I'm looking forward to the tutorial. I'm trying to convert the code from http://www.box2d.org/wiki/index.phptitle=Linking_graphics_to_bodies_in_Box2D_AS3, by looking at the compare page on the processing main site. It ought to be easy, but I'm stumbling a bit, mainly because I'm not used to all the myWhatever bits. It's still so early for me with processing, that trying to grok other languages is probably going to mix me up.
Reply #29 - Jul 5th, 2009, 8:48am

Hello guys, I'm kinda new in here, so hello  Cool
I'm experemting with jbox2d and trying to create games with it.

Hope somebody can help me with following questions:

- How can I create a mouseJoint object ? I searched the docs and looked at the examples but I don't understand it. Can somebody explain it to me with a simple example?

- I don't understand the returned values of body.getPosition: Why it's something like -20 when a body is on the ground?

I'm using ruby-processing btw

thanks for all help,
regards
Pages: 1 2 3