We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
how usable is video in processing ? (Read 865 times)
how usable is video in processing ?
Jun 7th, 2008, 9:30pm

Hi

I want to do some simple video stuff on processing, basically looping of several videos across a multiscreen setup.
For the multiscreen part i got Most Pixels Ever to work fine.
For the video rendering i'm having performance problems which makes me wonder if processing can handle heavy video stuff. For example when i try to run 4 copies of one videosof resolution 720x576, codec DV, with the normal processing video library side by side in a 2880pixels wide window they run with very low frame rate, absolutly unusable. I tryed with the glgraphics library and it's a bit better, but still i get cpu usage at 70%.
My plan is to have as many as 12 of these videos being read at a time, and it seems to me that processing can't handle that, can it ? (off,course the 12 720px videos don't fit in a 2880px, only parts of them would be visible). On top of this the videos would be looped with looping times as small as 100ms.

any opinions on this ?

thanks
Miguel Negrão

ps: is there a way to see the actual framerate during rendering ?
Re: how usable is video in processing ?
Reply #1 - Jun 8th, 2008, 6:44am

The Core Video library doesn't handle video playback well. The GSVideo library works much, much better for this type of application. This library is still in basic development, but I've seen some extremely promising results.
Re: how usable is video in processing ?
Reply #2 - Jun 8th, 2008, 3:45pm

REAS wrote on Jun 8th, 2008, 6:44am:
The Core Video library doesn't handle video playback well. The GSVideo library works much, much better for this type of application. This library is still in basic development, but I've seen some extremely promising results.

I instaled GSVideo and now the reported framerates are considerably higher. Still in some situations the video is very slow, even if the reported framerate is above 25. For example if i load 2 diferent videos (720x576) side by side from the same hardrive the first one plays more a less okay but the second one is very very slow.

I want to play from just one video file but at several diferent points in the video time at the same time side by side. What would be the best way to do this in terms of perfomance, have 4 different copies of the file and load them into 4 GSMovie classes,  load the same file 4 times into GSMovie or just load it once into GSMovie and use jump() 4 times in each draw() call to go to the different parts of the video, or something else Also, what is the best uncompressed format to use with GSVideo and processing, for perfomance

thanks
Miguel Negrão
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1