We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
0139 memory usage (Read 1626 times)
0139 memory usage
Jun 7th, 2008, 5:46pm

fyi, 0139 (and likely back to 0136, though not checked) appears to make significantly more memory available to a sketch running within the pde.  i don't know if this is by design, or a side effect from the new runner mechanism perhaps starting a separate thread from the pde, or what, but it's nice.  Smiley

i have several big-offscreen-graphics for-print -type sketches that used to be troublesome to get running, (VM alloc errors at start, even with prefs mem limit bumped way up) and in 0139 they seem to run without a hitch.
Re: 0139 memory usage
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2008, 6:35pm

good to hear.. it's intentional in that by separating things out with the runner, we get lots of things like this (e.g. isolates us from some thread nastiness and other quirks), though i didn't realize that memory usage specifically would be helped. it may also have to do with java 1.5 being better at memory handling than the 1.4 we'd been using in <= 0135, though i'm not sure.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1