We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionEvents,  Publications,  Opportunities › sort of odd (but great) philly event
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
sort of odd (but great) philly event (Read 1009 times)
sort of odd (but great) philly event
Jun 2nd, 2008, 4:46pm

I recently participated in a NSF sponsored CPATH workshop in Philly addressing decreasing computer science enrollments. (http://conradgleber.com/conradgleber/nsf_cpath/)  This initial workshop specifically looked at programming for visual art vis-a-vis computer science education, with 6 other workshops (examining other sub-domains of digital media in relation to cs) to follow over the next few years.  I gave a presentation on Processing to a room filled with cs professors. I've been thinking about and speaking (individually) to this population for a while, so I looked forward to being able to address the group.

With dwindling numbers of cs majors, the introductory cs class has become filled with more non-majors. This presents a challenge in how to teach introductory material to such a diverse group. I know many of us, who teach more "creative" coding classes, also struggle with this issue. Since my book came out, I've received numerous emails from cs faculty asking about the viability of using processing to teach CS I.

After giving a quick overview of Processing, I ran through an example that I coded initially procedurally, then using Processing's simplified OOP approach, then in Java mode and finally as an embedded component in a Java Swing app. The point I was trying to stress to the cs profs was that you could use a single environment (and language) to reach a diverse population. Since most of them are using Java as the main teaching language for their majors, they wouldn't have the problem of having to first teach a simpler scripting language (to accommodate the non-majors) and then move to Java in the next class, as many are doing now; they seemed truly excited about the potential.

As obvious as this may seem to many of you, it wasn't to the folks in the room, who were just not familiar with Processing.

I would love to hear other's thoughts/experiences.

ira
Re: sort of odd (but great) philly event
Reply #1 - Jun 2nd, 2008, 5:25pm

I wonder if Computer Science isn't just being challenged by the fact that it is no longer the main source of knowledge about writing code and software. That the CS community is ignorant of Processing could be read as confirmation of their isolation from other professional fields, fields that are increasingly using code in ways "classic" CS simply does not address.

I teach Interaction Design at the Oslo School of Architecture and Design, and they've only recently started an exchange with the CS groups at the local University. Hopefully this will lead to a greater interaction, but I'm not too optimistic. I absolutely recognize the value of CS as a "pure" scientific study of algorithms and computational processes, but I'm not surprised it seems less attractive than a more applied approach to code.

(As irony would have it, I've just completed a cover design for the next issue of "Communications of the ACM", which I used to browse for cool graphics before I dropped out of CS back in 1994...)
Reply #2 - Jun 2nd, 2008, 5:58pm

Marius,
Your excellent point was discussed a lot as well at the workshop. Some CS faculty defend it with comments like CS is much more than programming, blah, blah. The less grumpy ones realize exactly what you wrote and know they need to rethink what they're doing. I still think though that the CS I class is one of the main gates though which people first get introduced to coding (the self-taught on this site notwithstanding). And anything that can help develop a more widespread coding literacy is probably a good thing,
(and of course the more people who know about Processing the better).

I look forward to seeing that cover
Reply #3 - Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:19pm

I think they might be teaching an intro to CS course at Carnegie Mellon with Processing this year. I heard this from Golan so he knows better then myself. I think this is so exciting.

Casey

Reply #4 - Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:40pm

Casey,
I actually got a long email from Jim Roberts at CMU about this. He said Golan originally showed him Processing. Here's an excerpt of part of his note:
Quote:
"Golan is going to teach a version of our 15-100 using Processing for his design and art students this fall. I am thinking about using it for my four sections of general students."

I think this is really exciting as well!
Reply #5 - Jun 3rd, 2008, 5:36pm

Greetings from the "grumpy CS World!"....

I've been a big fan of A&C group at MIT for several years now so am thrilled to see Processing getting past Beta and into the hands of people who are "outside" the domain of "doing creative visual work".

You all have to agree with Prof. Maeda that Processing is an outcome of "mutants that defy the norm". Personally I wish for more such mutations!!

It probably doesn't help bemoaning the lack of knowledge or interest in the CS community about this project. The best way to get about it is to expose more in the CS community to its virtues. I can help, but I am just a single voice. However, if there is serious interest in this group (personally I think that is a no-brainer!) then the thing to do is volunteer some effort in the events attended by CS-types: The Phila Workshop sounds ideal (sorry I missed is as I was out of the country!). But think about a paper/presentation at the ACM SIGCSE conference. This is the largest single gathering of CS educators (each Spring) and yes there has bee a lot of discussion about the ideas and best ways to rethink CS1. If I can help it I'd invite someone from this group to do a invited presentation. Also, propose a 1/2 day workshop/tutorial at SIGCSE. BTW you will be reaching 1400-1600 CS faculty in this forum!

Also, there is ITICSE (google it), the European version of SIGCSE.

I would personally like to extend an invite to you to visit Bryn Mawr College and give a talk in the coming year. we have a joint consortium of 5 colleges (Haverford, Swarthmore, Villanova, and Bryn Mawr) who host speakers. Please get back to me and I'll try and arrange that.

Also, to put this project in context, Processing and its approach is one neat way of rethinking CS1. I'm involved in another: using personal robots to teach CS1 (www.roboteducation.org), andthere are other really interesting initiatives (check out Mark Guzdial's multi-media based approach).

I think this is the right time to challenge long standing assumptions in CS. I agree that CS1 courses serve as gateways into computing and that the more students doing computing the better (There are now more computers on every campus in the US than people. Yet few who actually do computing).

I welcome efforts like Processing into the mix. Lets work together and see how we can bring about some radical change!

Best,

Deepak.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1