We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSound,  Music Libraries › Promidi question: Note duration
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Promidi question: Note duration (Read 543 times)
Promidi question: Note duration
Jun 2nd, 2008, 3:55pm

I am trying to send live midi notes from my sketch but promidi seems to want a pre determined duration set with each note. How do I manually send the NoteOn when key is pressed and NoteOff when it is released. Seems that promidi prior to 2.0 allowed for this behavior. Is it still possible with the latest version some how?

I am working on a program that converts live singing or whistling to midi. So that my synth can sing along to me live. What I have works more or less but I cant calculate Note durations in a live situation so i just stick in a static duration for all notes.
Re: Promidi question: Note duration
Reply #1 - Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:01pm

there are two methods in MidiOut that are not documented so far:

sendNoteOn(Note note);
sendNoteOff(Note note);

Reply #2 - Jun 3rd, 2008, 4:32pm

/tmp/build9198.tmp/Temporary_7712_7442.java:214:7:214:30: Semantic Error: No method named "sendNoteOn" was found in type "promidi.MidiOut". However, there is an accessible method "sendNote" whose name closely matches the name "sendNoteOn".

Reply #3 - Jun 3rd, 2008, 4:37pm

I can see the methods in question in the MidiOutDevice class source but cant access them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Not sure what im doing wrong.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1