We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Searching the Discourse (Read 2709 times)
Searching the Discourse
May 23rd, 2008, 8:11pm

Hello,

It would be nice to have an option for showing every thread only once among the search results, and not many posts of the same thread, even if they contain the search string.

In addition, I think that the 25 maximum results are not enough, now that the discourse has so much information - in all of my searches I add a zero in the end of this '25' so that I know I will get as much as possible..

Thank you Smiley
Re: Searching the Discourse
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2008, 9:48pm

Discourse is based on YaBB 1, so unless they hack the code, or there is options there, they can't do much.

Now, I see YaBB is at version 2.2.1, perhaps an upgrade would be useful, if easily done.
I miss some features (saw in phpBB, I don't know for YaBB) like setting all threads as read in a forum.
And keeping the topic summary after a preview...
Reply #2 - Jan 17th, 2009, 4:36pm

Sorry to bring this up again, but I would like to know if someone knows a way to see the search results in a more efficient way.

I mean that when I search for something, I get let's say the first 10 posts that belong to the same thread, and if this thread is not relevant to my search, it is annoying to keep scrolling until I reach something better.

Do you know if it is possible to just show the threads on the results?

Thanks and sorry for repeating..
Reply #3 - Jan 17th, 2009, 5:46pm

try this search via google:

Code:

site:processing.org inurl:yabb_beta "please search"

where "please search" would be the text to search for.

F
Reply #4 - Jan 25th, 2009, 2:15pm

Thank you very much for the help.

Based on your idea, i made a simple search plugin for firefox - nothing special but i prefer to use it when searching the forum Smiley

You can get it at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/10486/ if you want - but as it is in the sandbox, you will have to login there.
Reply #5 - Apr 10th, 2009, 5:08pm

Great, experimental addons no longer require you to login, so it can be added much easier..

Enjoy! (and if you feel like, leave a rating/review, as it will help it go out of the sandbox..)

Thanks!

update: I just realized that now there is an option to "Display only one result per thread" when performing a search, so this addon might not be very useful anymore Smiley (it bypasses the limit of 25 maximum results though!)
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1