We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › Processing and openFrameworks
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Processing and openFrameworks (Read 1895 times)
Processing and openFrameworks
May 20th, 2008, 4:51pm

Hi
A newcomer to the processing world, have just finished the near perfect Processing book by Fry and Reas.

Can someone tell me the relationship between openFrameworks http://www.openframeworks.cc/

and Processing?
Does openFrameworks use Processing or?

a side note, I know this has been discussed elsewhere, but this forum is extremely slow, to the detriment of the processing community...I rarely post to or view this forum for that reason...hard to believe that this can't be fixed
Re: Processing and openFrameworks
Reply #1 - May 20th, 2008, 6:11pm

I believe openFrameworks was inspired by processing, but they wanted it to not be reliant on Java and the issues that brings so has been written from scratch and based on C++
Reply #2 - May 20th, 2008, 6:42pm

Both Processing and openFrameworks were created as free, open source projects for artists and designers. Processing is built around Java and openFrameworks is built around C++. Both environments can do many of the same things. Java allows Processing applets to be viewed over the web, but makes applications often slower than those written in openFrameworks. Processing has a stronger emphasis on learning to program. Ben and I are good friends with Zach, one of the two openFrameworks creators. I've watched the project grow over the years; I think it's wonderful.

I don't use openFrameworks for my own work because I prefer the speed and ease that I can work in Processing. Ben and I made Processing because we didn't want to write C++ code; we had been doing that for years.
Reply #3 - May 21st, 2008, 1:03am

Thanks Casey
Sorry I missed the 'Design and the Elastic Mind' Moma show, a coworker said it was great.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1