We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › processing.js
Pages: 1 2 
processing.js (Read 7345 times)
processing.js
May 9th, 2008, 11:42am

I don't if someone posted it before, but John Resig has ported processing 2d stuff to javascript using the canvas object. http://ejohn.org/blog/processingjs/
Re: processing.js
Reply #1 - May 9th, 2008, 3:11pm

I've just seen and this is nuts.
great news for those who love Processing and JQuery
Reply #2 - May 9th, 2008, 5:07pm

I spent about an hour looking at this last night. After recovering from the shock, I had many questions. How do you think people will use it? Is this an obvious question?
Reply #3 - May 9th, 2008, 7:32pm

it's just made the front page of slashdot. there's the usual lot of missing the point in the comments but...
Reply #4 - May 9th, 2008, 8:03pm

Ah. This reminds me of 1997, when Flash was just getting started (even when it was still FutureSplash Animator) and there were debates about the future of animation the Web. Would it be DHTML or Flash? Looks like the discussion might be opening again.
Reply #5 - May 9th, 2008, 11:02pm

This project is really amazing...  Maybe another (giant) step in JavaScript evolution after Ajax ?
Reply #6 - May 10th, 2008, 8:52am

This is very very cool!

At first I thought it was just javascript interpreter from processing, but then I realized it was a complete rewrite of the processing 2D API in Javascript....verrrry cool.
Reply #7 - May 11th, 2008, 6:49am

Indeed pretty cool and indeed most people on digg and reddit are missing the point.

I do wonder if this will eventually evolve into its own animal because of its direct browser integration? A processingjs.org? It seems like one could do a lot of work in this context which would be otherwise much harder to do from vanilla processing.

Has anyone tried this on a mobile device that can display javascript? Processing on iPhone?????
Reply #8 - May 11th, 2008, 10:41am

I've just read this article related to John Resig's processing.js library. Bill Orcutt has created a new "processing" object for his visual programming environment called "Lily". More info is available here :

http://blog.lilyapp.org/2008/05/processing_js_1.html

http://www.lilyapp.org
Reply #9 - May 11th, 2008, 2:51pm

Here is yet another perspective

http://www.0xdeadbeef.com/weblog/?p=362
Reply #10 - May 11th, 2008, 6:25pm

let me add these 2 links
someChromeForPjs and obsessing
Reply #11 - May 11th, 2008, 7:17pm

So visually this is amazingly awesome to see Processing in Javascript, but has anyone tried to actually feed in AJAX or JSON data into the processingJS canvas?
Reply #12 - May 12th, 2008, 6:42am

It is amazing the buzz that this has generated in a couple of days. Although I think it is fantastic someone took the initiative to do this, I don't fully get the viral ebullience. (Please feel free to enlighten/scold me here.) I do get the annoyance with the applet argument and even the javascript=democracy fervor. What I don't fully get though is the huge benefit that many see this providing (sorry). Of course, making my living primarily through the ivory tower, I don't have to please clients, meet standards or generally do anything with code that doesn't interest me (this is a bit of an exaggeration). I suspect if I needed to work in javascript I might find the processing api more convenient at times than simply writing standard javascript graphic calls, but I'm not sure that this benefit in itself would elicit the response that we're seeing. What's also a little strange about all this to me is that for years working in actionscript we could write simplified procedural (processsingesque) type calls, but the dev community somehow convinced mm/adobe to convert AS (in form) into a mutant variety of java?

So please somebody help this middle-aged guy learn to embrace this next thing.

Also for the hell of it, I decided to look at performance differences between applet/js. As you might suspect, the applet, for all its klunkyness, far outperforms js (warning, this may lock up your browser.) http://iragreenberg.com/pjs/

Reply #13 - May 12th, 2008, 10:50am

I think the obvious advantage goes back to what Processing was when it started up - a sketch language. It's another platform for sharing ideas and it's one that will get picked up by the javascript snobs.
Reply #14 - May 12th, 2008, 11:27am

The main advantage I see is simply *not relying on Java*. Many people just don't have it any more, and many more are irritated every time they visit a page featuring a Java applet, because their computer seizes up for several seconds (sometimes much longer) and becomes far likelier to crash. Last time I checked there's still a long-standing bug in Firefox/Java where if you try to navigate away from a page with a Java applet during that not-working-right phase, the browser stops working properly (links are broken!) until you have shut it down, killed the process and started it again afresh.

So being able to show our sketches to people without inflicting Java on them is a great thing.

Of course, the performance hit in transferring to JS is pretty substantial, so it may not be as great as all *that*.

I still keep hoping that Sun or someone will eventually sort out Java so that it's a nice thing to have in a web browser, rather than something we have to suffer through to see Processing sketches and things, but we've been waiting for a while now.
Pages: 1 2