We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › processing.js
Pages: 1 2 
processing.js (Read 7346 times)
Re: processing.js
Reply #15 - May 12th, 2008, 12:20pm

Oolong you're absolutely right. The stigma of Java crashing your browser is simply the one thing that gets people to not want to view any form of Processing applets. Even as someone who works with Processing a lot, I'm always afraid of clicking links that might contain Java simply because it has a high probability of completely destroying my browsing experience and all the tabs that I had open.

As far as performance goes I think one can go a long way with processing.js however I've yet to see any examples that have a complexity beyond simple sketches. That's definitely a trade-off, one that could have been avoided had Sun (points finger) simply fixed their damn platform already.
Reply #16 - May 12th, 2008, 4:09pm

I think it's kinda hilarious, and it's great that he's done it.

It's very much where Processing was when we first started--though we always had 3D and fast pixel operations, both of which were very important. But it's exciting to think that JavaScript (or "LiveScript".. I wish they didn't change the @#$(* name) can 1) do this now and 2) be better at it in the future.

[ Though as an aside, I do take exception with the idea that Processing "pegs your CPU" or goes max frame rate. The hilarious part is that Javscript would somehow seem more efficient than Java (or use less CPU). Umm, no. The upper bound of frameRate is pegged at 60 fps, and you can always set it lower for more CPU. Or you can use noLoop(), which essentially appears to be the default for processing.js... ]

As described in the "Why Java" part of the FAQ, using Java is a tradeoff of several of the goals we had for the project. Now that other platforms/languages/environments are becoming more viable for this sort of thing (e.g. you don't *always* need the max performance) it's fun to see JavaScript, Python, Ruby implementations of the same thing. It's exciting/humbling to have people using our API too.

I think we'd happily dispense with Java if there were a viable alternative. (It's not as though Sun has given us any support, etc.) But as of now, for the type of things that we want to do (As defined by the sort of things you see in Casey and I's work, or the projects we link to in the exhibition), there isn't really an alternative. Here's to hoping that, as mflux says, Sun fixes their damn platform.. Or that something better than Java comes along.

And on another point--this sort of thing makes future directions for Processing potentially easier. Casey and I have spent a lot of time discussing how we maintain our "beginner" audience (straightforward 2D stuff.. the first half of the Processing book) while also addressing our "advanced" audience (some of what you see in the exhibition). Other ways to use the API like this could make our decision easier.
Reply #17 - May 13th, 2008, 4:11pm

mflux wrote on May 11th, 2008, 6:49am:
Has anyone tried this on a mobile device that can display javascript Processing on iPhone??

Hmm... a workaround to spite Apple. Hopefully Sun will convince them that porting the JVM to iPhone is a good idea, then we won't need to take the back door. Not likely considering their obsession with control (don't hurt me, I love my Mac)
Reply #18 - May 13th, 2008, 4:33pm

mflux wrote on May 11th, 2008, 6:49am:
Has anyone tried this on a mobile device that can display javascript Processing on iPhone??

I've tried it on an iPod touch and.. it DOES work. To a point. There's minimal mouse control unfortunately, and no keyboard input option that I can see.
Reply #19 - May 13th, 2008, 5:07pm

I'm teaching an iphone dev class this fall and have been thinking about how to squeeze processing in (and maybe obj-c out)
Reply #20 - May 14th, 2008, 10:14am

I want to take your class Ira..

Do I really have to travel to Miami? D:
Reply #21 - May 14th, 2008, 3:22pm

Michael,
-or I could come to Shanghai (2x a week) Wink

You know what could be cool is to have a 2nd section of the class in shanghai via video conf. Miami is fairly obsessed with Shanghai (already have a partnership in place with Shanghai Jiao Tong University) and video conferencing (ex AT&T CEO is an alum and big donor).
Reply #22 - May 14th, 2008, 3:33pm

I wonder if an "Export To" option might be (Eventually) useful, to convert processing to javascript, etc.
Processing as a polyglot ide?  :'-(
Reply #23 - May 22nd, 2008, 10:31pm

I like the library very much. Here is my first test rotating pictures in 'simulated 3D'. Real 3D is not (yet) possible in javascript processing.

http://server.camaris.be/php/jpg/versie2/sine4.html

Greetz...
Reply #24 - May 28th, 2008, 8:44pm

We just added a new forum category to discuss Processing.js: http://processing.org/discourse/yabb_beta/YaBB.cgi?board=implementations
Pages: 1 2