We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpOther Libraries › P5Sunflow how to??
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
P5Sunflow how to???? (Read 2553 times)
P5Sunflow how to????
May 9th, 2008, 6:41am

Hi there!!! I am quite new to processing and I've seen amazing work done with sunflow and processing. I want to get p5sunflow up and running in my machine but just can't seem to be getting anywhere. Every place I read says that I need java 1.5 but processing works with 1.4 and I haven't found anywhere that gives a reasonable guide to using java 1.5 or just making P5Sunflow work. Everyone seems to be hardcore programmers that know perfectly what they are doing and how to do it =( (and where to find what they need to do it). So... is there anybody patient enough that is willing to help me with P5Sunflow?

First of all how to get java 1.5 working with Processing? I've seen posts that say I need to copy the jre into processing substituting the java folder but i don't know where in my mac is the 1.5 jre or what files to copy. Another solution is to use any other editor and import the core library but.... in eclipse it just won't run the .java generated by processing What am I doing wrong????

Thanks to anyone brave enough to help me or even read this post! A noob really appreciates it! =) cheers!
Re: P5Sunflow how to????
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2008, 11:13pm

If I run: print(System.getProperty("java.version"));
I get 1.6.0_05

I have not downloaded the "full" version of Processing but the "expert" one, without Java.
Before installing it, I have downloaded and installed Java 1.6 from Sun's site.
After unzipping it, it ran without problem (Windows XP).

HTH.
Reply #2 - Sep 22nd, 2008, 6:37pm

To get P5Sunflow working can take a bit of effort.

On Win Vista I found:

P5Sunflow will not work with Processing-0148-expert (the latest version of Processing, as of today) [A 'NoSuchFieldError' is generated, including a  problem in P5Sunflow.java]

P5Sunflow does work in Processing-0135-expert on this Vista system:

1. Install the JDK from http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
2. Unzip Processing-0135-expert.zip to c:\Program Files\Processing-0135-expert\ (or similarly named folder).
3. Copy the contents of the JDK folder e.g. c:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6[...]\
into a new directory called \java\ within the Processing folder.
4. Copy the contents of the p5sunflow.zip into the \libraries\ directory of the Processing folder (Processing-0135-expert\libraries\p5sunflow\library\[jar files]).
5. Run Processing and try a code example from the hipstersinc.com website.
Reply #3 - Mar 8th, 2009, 8:32am

Back to the problem.
I get 1.5.0_16.
I am on MacBook Pro.
Still P5Sunflow doesn't work.
message :" hipstersinc.P5Sunflow needs to be updated for the current release of Processing."

Thanks for the reply

Reply #4 - Jun 21st, 2009, 9:35am

I have a problem similar to aribezas:
I get 1.6.0_10
I'm running Processing 1.03 on Windows 7.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I'd guess that the cause (now) is that since the original post (when there was some other problem) Processing 1.0 was released and as I understand it there were a few changes which meant that libraries designed for pre-1.0 versions of Processing would no longer work.

Is that right, and if so, has anyone managed to get p5Sunflow working with Processing > 1.0?  I could approach Mark Chadwick (who produced p5Sunflow) but I didn't want to do that if it was some basic configuration issue which I should really have figured out myself!!  Wink

I suppose it depends where the changes need to be made - if it's something inside the library then I'll need to contact Mark anyway, but who knows...

I'm fairly new to Processing (although not a complete n00b I hope!)  Any help gratefully accepted. Let me know if there's any other info I should supply
Reply #5 - Jun 25th, 2009, 5:42pm

ZaphodBeeblebrox claims to have an updated Sunflow wrapper for P5 1.0+, but hasn't posted it publicly yet.  I can't post a link, but check out   /discourse/yabb2/?num=1243094814
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1