We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpIntegration › Trying to use jexcelapi
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Trying to use jexcelapi (Read 819 times)
Trying to use jexcelapi
Apr 17th, 2008, 4:06am

Hello-

I was wondering if anyone has used jexcelapi to create excel spreadsheets in Processing.  I put the jxl.jar file in the libraries and I still get the error that jikes could not find "jxl".  I am pretty new using Java and Processing, and not the best programmer.  Any help would be great.  

THank you
Re: Trying to use jexcelapi
Reply #1 - Apr 17th, 2008, 12:24pm

For a single project it'd be easier to put the jar files into a "code" directory in your sketch directory.
Reply #2 - Apr 17th, 2008, 6:12pm

I have tried to putting the files in there and everywhere.  I am thinking that it must not be compatible with processing.  Do you know of others ways of making an Excel file using processing?
Reply #3 - Apr 19th, 2008, 7:50pm

Output to a CSV (comma separated variable) file, which is readable by all versions of Excel - frankly, unless you're trying to output stuff using VBA or graphs or something like that, XLS format is all bloated garbage anyways.  You can dump CSV real easy, just separate entries by commas.

Look up the saveStrings function in the Processing reference, that's a good way to save the file (it will insert line breaks between each String in the String array you pass it, too).
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1