We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › Generating Geographic Map Diagrams
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Generating Geographic Map Diagrams (Read 1159 times)
Generating Geographic Map Diagrams
Apr 7th, 2008, 8:46pm

Hey, first time posting- hope i didn't completely miss a similar thread.

I'm working on diagrams that take the input of two locations as GPS coordinates (eg. 73.41n43.21w ... i just made those up, ; ) ).

I would love to use processing to design a small applet that takes the coordinates and creates a visual diagram of different routes between the locations. Traffic (roadways), electronic (ip route), maybe others I'm forgetting or haven't thought of.

Are there any libraries that could assist me or maybe precedent applications i could turn to for guidance. I'm more concerned with learning how to do this than just achieving the result (I would just illy/autocad it if that were the case).
Re: Generating Geographic Map Diagrams
Reply #1 - Apr 8th, 2008, 9:13pm

Processing would be more than capable of handling this task.  The difficulty would be in actually obtaining the map data for the roads and streets.  I know Yahoo maps just released an API for Flash (which doesn't help us).

So implimenting this will be very dependant upon what format/location the map data is in.  Any info on that?
Reply #2 - Apr 8th, 2008, 9:29pm

My GIS expertise is limited  .... at best! Smiley

At this point, the map data is non-existent so I'm open to all suggestions. How about the google maps API? I remember GIS friends with assignments to use that API begging me to do their homework ... haha. Now I wish I had!

I'm eager to do any research/groundwork to get the logistics out of the way, i'm just a little bit lots on where to start. (aside from pseudo coding the app)
Reply #3 - Apr 8th, 2008, 10:04pm

btw, movax, i love your work. really nice stuff!

the photoremixes and the trees are just fantastic. are the trees a composite?? very cool.
Reply #4 - Apr 9th, 2008, 7:06pm

Cool- thanks for the props!  Glad you liked them-

As for the mapping stuff it looks like the Google Map API could work, as it seems to use JavaScript which there is a processing core library for.   So it might make sense to start small and just try to get Processing talking to the API before worrying about any pathfinding or street stuff.  Let us know how it works out.
Reply #5 - Apr 9th, 2008, 7:11pm

very cool, got to working on it a bit last night (early morning? ; \ ). Exciting, i'll definitely be posting with my progress (and any walls I hit ; ).)
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1