We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProcessing DevelopmentLibraries,  Tool Development › New camera library: kaleidoscope
Pages: 1 2 
New camera library: kaleidoscope (Read 4594 times)
New camera library: kaleidoscope
Apr 2nd, 2008, 8:13am

Hello,
I just finished making a website explaining my new camera library for Processing.  It is intended as a quick and easy way to add FPS or Maya style cameras to your sketches.  I have written code for object selection and an OPENGL drawer based off the advice from comments on Robert Hodgkins's particle emitter, though I would like to know what the community thinks before I add more.

http://users.design.ucla.edu/~ptierney/kaleidoscope/

-HackerLastPip

Re: New camera library: kaleidoscope
Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2008, 6:28pm

Thanks for adding this! Great to see. Please add a "reference" section to the site, rather than putting the API in the FAQ. You can look at some of the other library sites for examples.

Casey
Reply #2 - Apr 8th, 2008, 7:42am

right hlp, the download link on your page is misnamed. The file doesn't have an underscore.
Reply #3 - Apr 8th, 2008, 8:08am

Also running the appcamera toroid test, the toroid rotates around until you start moving the mouse, then it kind of zooms in some crazy manner and the camera gets stuck in a close shot.
Reply #4 - Apr 12th, 2008, 7:15am

I too have experienced that error with the toroid program.  When I run the program through the Processing application, I receive an ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: (with numbers ranging from 160168 to 160303 ).  

It would appear however that this is not a problem with my library, as I am able to recreate the error without kaleidoscope, as seen here:
http://users.design.ucla.edu/~ptierney/kaleidoscope/examples/toroid_error/

This is likely a problem with P3D or the camera() function.
Thanks for the dead link notice, though.  Any other input on the library?
Reply #5 - Apr 14th, 2008, 8:08am

It's great so far. I haven't tried it out extensively yet. It's not too obvious, but probably it's easiest to just override the methods, but it'd be cool to disable mouse control, wheel movement, and be able to limit the key presses, basically be able to limit the inputs.
Reply #6 - Oct 29th, 2008, 7:03pm

hi, i love your contribution - been looking for something that replicates the navigation of 3d space I'm used to in my modelers...

but I'm not getting the behaviour I would expect - for example, panning and rotating are not working for me. I have the Maya setting on and I am only getting zooming action. ALSO if I accidentally zoom out to far I can't zoom back in...

help?
thanks!
Reply #7 - Oct 29th, 2008, 7:41pm

Thanks so much for the feedback!
Trying the maya-style camera on Processing 0154 gave runtime errors and didn't function.  I'll look into it and post when the bugs have been ironed out.
Reply #8 - Nov 4th, 2008, 1:16pm

looking forward to it! Wink

Best!
Reply #9 - Nov 16th, 2008, 9:37pm

I've updated the library to work with 0156, the MAYA setting isn't completely bug free: it zooms in a little every time you rotate the camera.  It's a bit of a nuisance, but the library is still usable.

You can get it here:
http://users.design.ucla.edu/~ptierney/kaleidoscope/download/kaleidoscope_1.2.zip

Also here's the test app I was using:
http://users.design.ucla.edu/~ptierney/kaleidoscope/torroid_test.zip

Let me know if you're still getting errors.
Reply #10 - Nov 25th, 2008, 5:36am

There seems to be camera perspective difference between 'WebCamera' and 'AppCamera'

In 'AppCamera' I can't seem to get the whole view, and it seems more zoomed in. And the box that is drawn is clipped, it starts off blank, and when you rotate it, you only see the corners.  Is there some other adjustment, I should make. Otherwise, i'll just stick with WebCamera.

Here is the Test Code I used on Processing v148
-------------------------------------------

import toxi.math.noise.*;
import toxi.math.waves.*;
import toxi.geom.*;
import toxi.math.*;

import processing.opengl.*;

import kaleidoscope.*;
Camera cam;

void setup() {
 size(640,480, OPENGL);
 //cam = new WebCamera( this, "MAYA" );

// I get odd results
 cam = new AppCamera( this, "MAYA" );

}

void draw() {
 background(0);
 lights();

box(50);
}
Reply #11 - Nov 25th, 2008, 6:01am

Specifically, the WebCamera lacks the ability to move the cursor back to the center.  This is rarely a problem.  If you plan an distributing the applet on the web (and dont need "First Person Shooter" style movement), use it over AppCamera.  

The AppCamera is slightly buggy at the moment, too, a problem I'm working on.
Reply #12 - Nov 25th, 2008, 6:31am

OK, the AppCamera seems to be working fine.  Download the latest here: http://users.design.ucla.edu/~ptierney/kaleidoscope/download/kaleidoscope_1.3.zip

Thank you so much for the feedback! My apologies for the bugs.

I hope this is a help.

Reply #13 - Nov 27th, 2008, 9:31am

Thanks, for you response, it works fine now.  Keep up the good work.  Libraries like this really make life easier.
Reply #14 - Nov 30th, 2008, 11:30pm

Hi

i have been so excited to finally get this going and i tired to implement it but got a whole bunch of exceptions. I tried the latest processing build thinking that might be the problem but I am getting the same errors. The latest build also is not allowing me to copy and paste the errors here...but most of them say something about Instantiation Error and something about processing.core.PMatrix..

anyone have any ideas why???
Pages: 1 2